Amidst the mizzling I saw him again

Xiao Zhan's POV

As the memories of the past started foraying into my present, all the confidence that I had built staying away from them withered like leaves. Everything that I thought I was doing for my own sanity seems bogus at this time. Why did I leave.. Why wasn't I strong enough to face the person who broke my heart?

For the past six year, I've always heard from Eriya that how strong is her dad. But was I really emotionally strong to come here and face everything? Your dad is physically strong my child, but in front of your father I can't even see my existence. Seven years back, it was like this. And seven years now, it's still the same. I ran because I knew if I saw him again, I would've easily forgiven him. No matter what he says, I would've easily believed him. For once in my life, I wanted my heart to not follow his rhythm of beats. But, running away hasn't changed anything as every street over here narrates the tale of my emotions, tales of my life spent with your dad.

Uncle has left.. Even he was able to look at him for the last time. But me, how unfortunate can I be? I glanced at my appearance while walking on the street. I was in my shorts, a baggy t-shirt and my comfy slipper. I was such a disgrace to come like this. Why didn't I think of changing before coming here? He reacted so formally, was it because I look ugly now?

I unlocked my phone.

10:53
23rd of July.

The time and day were the first thing I saw. There was an unread text I received after landing. It was from Xiao Qing. Opening the conversation I planned to inform my family that I've reached and they do not have to worry.

However, as I opened the conversation, my hands trembled reading the first two characters of text.

A-Qing
ChenFiu Cemetery.. beside your parents. Do visit him for he has been alone for the past 6 years. Don't punish him for the things he didn't do. Forgive yourself for the things you were never responsible for. Until the day after tomorrow all flights are books. Only single ticket is available. And you know Eriya won't let me come alone. I will be with you. Hang in there.

Why? Out of nowhere, why does she have to inform me about it? He is resting here. It's the 24th tomorrow. How should I gather the courage up overnight? It wasn't possible for the past 4 years, will it be possible overnight?

"Xiao Zhan!" a voice called for my name. As I turned behind, I saw panting Jiang Cheng holding his knees. Jiang Cheng~ it's been a long time. He still looks the same. "You—why didn't you come inside?" he complained as he strode towards me.

Engulfing me in his warm embrace, he cried on my shoulder. "He left us." He sobbed, and I gently patted his back for I know the pain of losing parents. "You're late A-Zhan. He waited for too long." He whispered, breaking our hug. And I cried at his words. He was waiting for me.

I held his shoulder as I forced myself to look at his face. He was good at reading my face before. After seven years, I am not sure if he knows how to read me like an open book. "Come meet him." he said, dragging me back to Jiang mansion. He chose to close his eyes to the brimming sentiments of mine. "Who said you're not worthy to meet him? He has been waiting for your return for ages now." he added but didn't stop dragging me. Neither had I wanted him to stop. I was in need of that pull which will take me back to the place I wanted to be the most but wasn't courageous enough to go on my own.

After paying homage I got back to Jiang Mansion with Jiang Cheng. The house is the same as how I had left it seven years ago. Nothing changed. Not even the furniture. But no matter if it's the same or not. It cannot be the same as the warmth has left from here. Shijie went, Uncle left. And A-Cheng.. he is lonely.