Chapter 14 : Can't Handle It

They found themselves in a tunnel, man-made from the looks of all the bricks it was built with.

The landing was rough, but it looked like they were safe.

"I'm done! I'm done!" Brittney yelled out. "I wanna go home!"

"Come on!" Janna groaned as she got up. "We survived a living house, what else could happen?"

Hekapoo disagreed. "She's right, I'm taking everyone back now." Taking out her scissors, she cut the air - but nothing happened. Her flame was back and she could sense magic running in her body. She slashed again. "No, no, they have a tramorfidian crystal in this place. I can't open a rift."

"I'll blast our way out!" Star readied her wand to fire upwards.

Marco placed his hand on her wand. "Star, no. We're underground - the blast could cause a cave-in and bury us."

"Oh, right." Star looked around - if she fired anywhere, that would certainly happen.

There were two open paths before them, each drenched in darkness.

"I think that's our way out." Jackie pointed out.

"Yeah," Hekapoo agreed, "the crystal is bound to be with the treasure so if we want to get it, we have to reach the end."

Marco noted there was a plaque between the doors. "It's a riddle. Brittney, we need to read this."

"No, no, no, no!" The rich girl refused, "I've nearly died today! I'm not doing any more of this."

"We can't get out unless we read this and you're the only one who can do that."

"I'm not doing it!" Brittney curled into herself as she started to shake.

Marco looked at Brittney who sat on the floor scared. Obviously almost getting eaten had shaken her.

Marco sighed, sitting beside her. "Do you mind if I sit?"

"Whatever."

"Brittney, please, I'm scared."

Brittney turned to him and found herself looking him straight in the eye. Slowly, he took her hand into his own, sandwiching them and holding them gently.

"I want to get Seraph home and I can't do that. The only one that can do that is you." Marco's voice was soft and gentle. "Please Brittney, we need your help. We need you."

"My help?"

"Yes, please. You're the only one who can do it."

"Me?"

"Yes, the only one."

"I'm the one."

"You are the one."

"I'm number one!"

"Yes you are!"

"I'm number one!" Brittney jumped on her feet and looked at the plaque. She kept repeating to herself "I'm number one. I'm number one."