Chapter 32 : Future's Past

Marco was used to rough rides, but this one was something else.

Through the portal, all they saw were shades of black and white before hitting the hard ground.

Marco thought he had gotten over his motion sickness, even before going to Hekapoo's dimension. Now, though, he struggled not to empty his stomach.

He felt Hekapoo's warm hand, patting his back gently. As he looked over to her, she didn't seem much better.

After taking a moment to catch their breath, they looked around; they found themselves in a city's scorched and ruined remains. From what Marco could tell, they were in what remained of a family home.

"Where are we?" Marco asked.

"No clue," Hekapoo told him, "this place seems familiar, but I can't place it." She pulled out her scissors, "Let's go back to Seraph." Hekapoo focused on the room they left their daughter. But nothing happened; her scissors failed to open a portal. "What? Do they have a crystal around here?"

It did seem familiar; Marco couldn't say why. The sky was a weird dark blue, everything seemed to be in a strange blue tint, and it felt a bit cold.

The ground shook beneath them; the ground broke apart, pushing them back was an enormous worm monster rushing out.

Its maw opened wide as tendrils reached out for them.

Hekapoo fired balls of fire at the tendrils reaching for them as Marco pulled out his scissors, turning them into a sword.

"I'll rush forwards and attack through its mouth! Keep the tendrils off me!" Hekapoo barked an order.

"Got it!"

They rushed to fight the monster, but they were stopped as flaming blades fell from the sky, skewering it. Soon the beast fell to the ground lifeless.

Both Marco and Hekapoo moved to cover their sides, ready for anything.

Above them, something flew on fiery wings and held to a sword of flames.

The flames flickered away as the figure landed before them. They wore a long black coat and had on some torn-up jeans. They wore a yellow top and a torn red hoodie over it. The hood was pulled over their head, but a pair of yellow horns stuck out of it.

They paused before they pulled down their hood to reveal a young woman with short reddish hair.

"Mom? Dad?"

Their eyes went wide, realizing they were looking at their daughter but years older.

"Seraph?" They whispered.

Seraph reached them and hugged them holding them tightly, "I've missed you so much." Tears squeezed out of her eyes.

"Commander!"

More people made their way to them, and some of their faces seemed familiar.

"Marco?"

"Marco!"

"Marco…"

One was Sensei, older too, his hair turning gray, he was wearing tattered black clothes with the same dragon symbol he wore sewed onto his new shirt. Standing next to him wielding an ax and wearing beaten armor was Miss Skullnick, who didn't look all that older.