Chapter 17 : My Best Friend's Wedding

Pony Head had ducked out to help a special guest get to Hekapoo. She left Kelly in charge of the line, while Tad walked guests to their seats.

"Oh, golly! I was so surprised to get a wedding invitation. I always say you just can't miss a wedding. They are joyous occasions, and if someone invites you, there is no distance too far."

Kelly nodded as one of the last guests spoke to her. He was a small hairy orange guy with a big green hat and a little bow tie.

He wasn't rude or anything. He'd just gotten into this whole long talk.

"Wander!" His companion stopped him. "The wedding is about to start, and we have to get to our seats."

"Oh, you're right Sylvia." He spoke to his blue… reptile horse… thing… Kelly had no idea what she was.

Tad smiled, "Here, let me show you the way to your seats. Oh, let's talk after this. I want to know more about that fruit salad you were talking about."

Sylvia took a second, "Yeah, sorry about him. He can get a little excited at weddings."

"Yeah, no worries." Kelly smiled at her.

She turned back to the line, only a few more people to get seated.

0000

"Milly!" Hekapoo greeted her friend as she rolled in.

"Hekapoo." Milly smiled.

"Well, I'll just leave you two." Pony Head excused herself; there was something she needed to do.

Neither paid her any attention.

"Look at you!" Milly smiled, "You're getting married. I never thought you'd settle down. Oh and you've got a kid! I met her when the Bounce Lounge closed down. She's such a sweet kid."

"Thanks." Hekapoo smiled, "Thanks for being here. It looks like retirement suits you."

"The party had to come to an end, and I just wanted a different life. Is that why you're getting married?"

Hekapoo scratched the back of her head and took a breath, "I love him, and we have Seraph and … there was this moment where everything just became so clear. We want to be together, that's the life I want."

There was a small smile on Milly's face, "Honey, I adore you, but are you sure you want this? Your immortal, and from what I've seen he's not."

Hekapoo frowned for a moment before it was replaced by a sad smiled, "I know I'll outlive him and my daughter … I'd rather make the most of the time we have together than regret not having them in my life."

Milly patted Hekapoo's cheek, "Don't be sad. It's supposed to be a happy day, for now enjoy it."

"I'm glad you agreed to be one of my bridesmaids."

"Well, I couldn't say no. You don't have that many friends."

"I'm just too much for most people to handle."