Chapter 41 : Lessons in Science

As the people moved towards them, Hekapoo and Star tried to keep Seraph between them. Hekapoo had lit her hands aflame, and Star raised her wand. Seraph was still trying to figure out what to do. Her family was staring at her with blank expressions. Both Star and Hekapoo were also hesitant to attack. After all, even if they were sporting more metal bits, they were people they knew. They couldn't portal away and faced the possibility of fighting people they cared for.

Sirens ripped through the air, some vague hope that maybe the police would come to help. As more people walked out of their houses in similar states, ready to attack, she couldn't help but wonder how far-reaching this was. Was anyone left? Was there anyone left unaffected?

Seraph was the first to notice the squad car rushing towards the house without stopping. Many people were forced to move out of the way as the car skidded to a stop, jumping the curb as it did.

A crackle filled the air as the car's speaker came to life, "Come with me if you want to live. Heh. I've always wanted to say that in a situation like this."

Some of the metal-covered people turned their attention to the squad car, ready to stop it, even attempting to open the car door.

"Silly me, I forgot something. Clap Off."

Seraph felt a tingle from the air as she heard the speaker clap their hands.

The speaker went dead, lights from the house all shut-off, and most interestingly, everyone with metal parts flinched and fell to the ground. The red light that was on many of their eyes went off.

There was a knock-like sound as the door in the back seats of the squad car opened up.

There was a faint struggle sound as someone tried to lower the window. A muffled "Augh! The window control is electric! Hop on! The spell won't last, they will reboot, and others will appear before then!"

Hekapoo found herself looking at Marco, unmoving on the floor. She didn't know what was happening but knew that Marco would insist on doing everything to protect Seraph. Hekapoo scooped up Seraph and rushed Star into the back of the car along with Seraph.

Hekapoo slammed the door behind them as the car's engine roared. The driver used a baton to shatter the glass window before pulling out a futuristic gun and firing it directly in front of them. A blue-colored beam shot out, freezing the air and forming a ramp. As the car sped up the ramp, more cars rushed in just in time to see the cop speeding into the air.

There was a brief second where everyone felt weightless before gravity took over again they started to fall. The driver shot out the gun, giving them a landing ramp, not that it made the landing softer. The car spun out wildly as they slid down the ramp, and they didn't slow down as spinning they kept their foot on the gas and ran into an empty street. The ramp seemingly shattered and dissolved into nothing. As the car turned, Hekapoo held her daughter close as they spun and quickly straightened in a strange direction. After a few moments, Star recognized where they were heading. They drove off the city into the empty riverbed and promptly went under a bridge.

They heard a car rushing around above, but they soon passed.

"Gonna puke." Star let out dizzly.

Hekapoo quickly tried to open the door.

"Okay, give me a second. I've got to get the door."