Chapter 36 : Thing About Dreams

Life wasn't fair.

No one ever claimed it to be, but people assume. Hekapoo didn't assume much at this point. Life had bent rules to get her a second chance. Still, it might have been nice if her daughter hadn't instantly made friends with the nibling of the guys she might have to arrest.

Hekapoo could have still asked for a bit of a break as she slipped into a pair of shorts and one of Marco's old shirts, the Hot Dawg Shirt.

The Stan guy kept his word and got the family a reasonable rate at a local hotel until they sorted this whole thing out. Marco's parents were okay with staying in town, especially after all this mess started. They got three rooms, one for the married couple and the other two, each with two beds for them to split.

Hekapoo was about to settle into bed when she entered the bedroom to find Marco sitting in bed with a portable DVD player on his lap.

"Oh!" Hekapoo let out, "If you want this room, I can go to the next one."

"Oh, ah," Marco mumbled out, "I mean, you don't have to. We can share a room."

Hekapoo still didn't know how to just be around Marco anymore. The whole they were now bound through magic and metaphysics was something that threw them for a loop. Their lives were now eternally tied together, and when Marco eventually died, she too would die. Their souls, bodies, and minds were in some way always connected now. They still barely had a clue what it all meant, and her old man wasn't even around to help explain it either. That snake could have waited around to explain some things or tell them the mountain would blow up. Not that Hekapoo could complain, considering he saved her when he probably shouldn't have. Now she just had to figure out how to live. It didn't help that now she was just alone with Marco staring down at a life together one way or another.

Hekapoo tried to change the topic to something she felt she could at least deal with at the moment. "Hey, what are you doing there?"

"I was planning on watching a Mackie Hand movie. I meant to watch it on the ride, but I sort of fell asleep. I was going to watch before going to sleep." Marco just looked at Hekapoo. "Huh? Do you want to watch it with me?"

Hekapoo just shrugged before deciding to sit next to Marco, "This is that ninja guy you're always talking about?"

His eyes gleamed, "Okay, so this movie has Mackie Hand going up against a hidden international ninja gang dealing stolen art. Mackie has to go undercover to..."

Marco's voice was drowned out by the start of the movie.

0000

Ford was talking to McGucket as he explained the situation.

"Huh?" McGucket let softly, "Well, you messed up."

"Yes, we are on a sort of timetable now." Ford said, "I don't know how I will persuade Hekapoo not to take me when-"

"Because you did all that stuff. And you are also the reason for Bill getting out in the first place."

"Well, yes," He fixed his coat, "there is something I have hoped for, a discovery I made on my travels. There was a massive dimensional conflation. If I could figure out what it was, I might use it to buy my freedom. Something like that would be very interesting for someone such as Hekapoo."