Chapter 40 : Lessons in Magic

Hekapoo had planned on teaching Seraph magic for a long time, but with the fritz, she was limited. She had gotten several books ready for when the time was better, but then her home imploded. Hekapoo had gotten several books from the store to try and find a way to help Seraph. They had plenty of spell books, but Seraph wasn't getting it.

Hekapoo mused to herself as she sat on a pile of books, "I don't get it."

Seraph frowned, "Maybe magic isn't for me."

Hekapoo leaned over and mussed up her hair, "Nonsense, you're my kid. You are made of magic, well, half anyway." That caught Hekapoo's attention, "Half?"

"Half? You think I can't do magic because I'm only half magic?"

"No, you've done spells, maybe nothing complicated, but you've done some spells. And your fire swords use magic. I think we've just got to re-frame our way of thinking here. You are half magic, so maybe we got to reconnect you to your magic half. Don't worry. Mama has a plan."

Honestly, Hekapoo was winging it. At first, she thought with magic back at full power, she could acclimate and get full going into magic. The problem was that Seraph was one of a kind. As far as Hekapoo knew, there hadn't been anything like her. Sure, there were fairy folk who had kids with mortals and other similar beings, but Hekapoo was more than that. She was pure magic. Glossaryck might know something, but even now, in death, he was useless.

Ludo confirmed it for them; Glossaryck's book had been burned. Double-checking the ashes, they didn't find anything. Ludo was loopy, but after Marco talked him out of just walking into a portal, he decided to stay in Gravity Falls. Hekapoo didn't care all that much. He seemed to like he was going to live in the forest. She just asked the Pines to try and keep an eye and make sure he didn't cause any more trouble.

Star even confirmed Glossaryck was gone. She said as she left, he was pulled into the blackness. The commission could only guess that meant he had truly passed away. They'd probably have to tell Reynaldo at some point.

0000

Hekapoo went back to her room. It wasn't much of a room, though. There were only so many rooms in this house, and Hekapoo used magic to expand a broom closet. It was big enough for her to use as a bedroom, but that only meant too much. They got a bed and some basic furniture, but it was far from having a room. A room was filled with things that made it your own, and everything Hekapoo had fell into a cosmic sinkhole.

Maybe it was for the best. Plenty of stuff in her closet would have wreaked havoc if it had ever gotten out.

0000

"You want to take Seraph?" Marco let out.

Hekapoo waved him off, "It's not like that, don't make it sound like we're getting a divorce and taking full custody." She sighed, "Look, Earth is barren magic-wise. The little magic we've found here comes from somewhere else. It's got no magic well or its own source. I think I can get Seraph better attuned with magic if I take her somewhere where magic is more common. I'm thinking a weekend camping trip in another dimension."

Marco mused, "Okay, it might be fun if we go on a camping trip."

"Nope, when I said we'd go, I meant Seraph and me. Just a girl's trip, a chance for mom and daughter to bond."