Chapter 31 : Scorched Earth

5 WEEKS LATER

Seraph gasped as she woke up in bed. Her throat felt so dry.

Nachos and Cinnabar were close by and started to make sounds.

Angie ran into the room, "Seraph!"

Seraph motioned to her throat.

Angie reached over to the nightstand next to the bed for a water bottle. "Here you go, drink up."

Seraph quickly started to gulp down her drink.

"How are you feeling? You've been out for days." Angie looked her over, "We thought you might have a coma, we thought about taking you to the hospital, but we didn't know how we were going to explain the horns. We got the nurse from your school to check you, and you have a hard head. You kept slipping in and out. We just had to take care of you, hoping you'd wake up."

Angie hugged her granddaughter.

"Grandma, where's Star?"

"… We tried calling her using her mirror; we tried calling her parents, and her friends and your uncles. No one answered."

0000

Her grandparents weren't eager about letting Seraph go on her own, but they were all worried. They needed answers.

Seraph opened a portal to Mewni and stepped out. She regretted it almost instantly.

The air was hot and dry; it was hard to breathe; if she didn't have fireproof powers, she doubted she could have lasted more than a few moments.

She found the kingdom in ruins and burned to the ground. There were a few scorched bodies, but none she recognized. Seraph didn't know if that was better or worse.

She looked around and found the other kingdoms in ruins. The Underworld had been frozen solid; the Cloud Kingdom had crashed into the Johansen Kingdom.

The Forest of Certain Death had burned, the Jaggy Mountains had crumbled, and the oceans had boiled.

In all the time she was there, she didn't find any other living soul. She only stayed there for a few hours; she couldn't bear to be there any longer. When she got back home, she just cried.

2 MONTHS LATER

The word that Mewni was gone had sent shivers through the whole multiverse. The High Commission was missing and presumed dead, and that included the entire Butterfly Family.

Then things got worse like things tended to do.

Erebus was spotted across multiple dimensions tearing through them. He didn't seem to have plans or anything. He was just running wild now.

Seraph was invited to Tatakai with anyone that could be of some help. Lord Wukong greeted her in person.

"Hello, Lady Seraph."

"Hello, Lord Wukong."

"Are you all right?"

He motioned to her face; Seraph traced the scar over her right eyes. One of the rocks that fell on her head slashed up her eyes; she had gotten lucky it didn't damage her eyesight. Seraph half thought of trying her mom's look but didn't know if she could pull off the look.