Chapter 24 : Perchance to Dream

A pale blue portal opened up in the middle of a nearby forest that overlooked the small city.

A scraggly old man, his eyes half glazed over with a hint of drool escaping his lips. His eyes twitched, and his body felt numb as he walked forwards.

His hands fumbled over a gun like a device that glowed with a blue light before the last bit of its energy died out and went off. The machine seemed to have been broken a dozen times, cannibalized and holding on by a thread to start with, it was amazing it worked as long as it did. The device tumbled out of his hand as he began to chuckle to himself, "Heh, hehe, at last."

He sighed before his body fell to the ground. The leaves of the tree moved slowly as a small breeze passed by. The dead body laid there undisturbed, not to be found anytime soon.

0000

Star Butterfly rubbed her head, life was stressful. It took her longer than she wanted to admit, but she understood why her mother was always such a fuddy-duddy. Running a kingdom was dull and tedious. It looked like she had to lead everyone by the hand and make sure most people didn't get themselves killed. Everytime she tried to do something to help and change things for the better, the people would complain and usually ignore her.

Queen Star Butterfly didn't see the point to it when she was a kid, this all seemed so much simpler. Star asked for a break from the latest meeting of the Magical High Commission. Not that it mattered, the other members were busy arguing amongst each other.

Star had no idea how they did this so often. Lekmet would bleat something that only Rhombulus could understand, Rhombulus would go to crystallize something as his solution, Hekapoo would order Rhombulus to the timeout corner, and Omni would literally phone into the meeting.

Star needed just to get away for a moment. She wanted to run, but that wasn't much of an option. The big puffy dress she had to wear as a queen made it nearly impossible to run. The entire outfit was just uncomfortable, the hair and the make-up, no wonder her mom barely smiled.

Star stepped out into the hall and took a sigh.

"Mama?"

Star blinked by the sudden voice. Standing in the hall was a small girl only about seven. Standing next to the little girl was her father, Marco. The years had been kind to Marco. The scrawny safety kid had grown into a seasoned warrior. He had messy windswept hair, muscles on muscles and a tendency to wear clothes that showed off his abs.

And those abs…

"Hey Star," Marco's voice rang in her ears.

The small girl giggled in Star's arms, "Hey Auntie Star."

"Hey Seraph," Star greeted Marco and Hekapoo's daughter.

Star forced on a practiced smile, of course, this little bundle of joy was their daughter. There was a time that Star thought that she and Marco would always be together having fun and crazy adventures, but before she knew it Hekapoo came in, and they spent less and less time. Then it was time to return to Mewni, and Marco followed after Hekapoo, and they were getting married. Soon after came Seraph.

Star held the girl tighter in her arms; she adored her in many ways and thought of her like the daughter she never had. The young Seraph was bright, cute, and such a sweet girl. For a quiet moment, she thought to herself that if she ever had a daughter with Marco, would she be just as amazing?