Chapter 38 : Upside Down

Star quickly found herself at the magic sanctuary, and she didn't like it. Her mom had dragged her there, leaving everyone else behind. Star tried to take the scissors and portal, but her mother fought her back. Her mom had never done this before. Moon either ordered her around, scolded her, or got someone to do something, which surprised Star. Moon was able to wrestle away Star from the scissors, but she also dropped the finger.

Toffee's finger lay before them, and Moon pounced on it, desperate to get it, almost even more than the scissors.

That got Star's attention.

It took some prodding, but Moon explained, "Toffee killed my mother."

Moon explained their history of how Toffee killed Moon's mother, how she made a deal with Eclipsa, and how she defeated him.

And that if he got his finger back, he'd likely finish what he started and end up destroying the kingdom. And there was nothing they could do.

Though Star would disagree, "We can't just sit here and do nothing."

"Star we-"

The well then erupted as corrupted black goo rushed out.

0000

The Kingdom of Mewni was in bad shape. Most of it was wrecked, and the sky had turned black from the smoke. The creatures that had attacked the kingdom were wild and vicious, like nothing they'd ever seen before. The kingdom's knights and citizens were being dragged along towards the dungeons. Some who avoided this fate hid, but none were allowed to escape the realm. The Henchmaniacs were given one order above all others: not to let a single person leave.

In the center of the kingdom, Ludo watched as the kingdom was conquered. His head felt light, he couldn't remember arranging this or anything, but he won.

"Ludo!" River growled at him nearby, and the king was chained up and forced to watch his kingdom taken over and ravaged. "I swear when I get out of this, I'm going to-"

"But you're never getting out," Ludo smirked, "I've won!"

"Won? Now what? As troublesome as you've been, you've never been this cruel. You've wanted respect! You wanted power! You wanted the wand. You wanted many things, but sheer destruction has not one of them."

Ludo opened his beak to say something, but nothing came out, there was a reason for this, but he couldn't remember what that was. His eyes flickered green, and he looked onto the destruction.

0000

Stan and Ford stood in the yard, looking at the sky turning red.

"Yeah, that doesn't look good," Stan muttered.

"It doesn't," Ford gulped. He wondered if Bill was back or what could be causing it. He had some ideas, but he still had too many holes in his knowledge. This Toffee was a danger, but what was his motivation?

In the other room, Hekapoo and Marco were resting in a bed. The situation was strange, and Marco provided all the energy for both of them. Hekapoo could supplement some of her power by eating, but Marco was her primary energy source. Marco would manage it with enough rest and food, but when he was drained, it nearly killed him.