Chapter 11

Jessi

I toss and turn, sigh and groan, trying to get even the slightest wink of sleep. Maybe it's the new environment. Or maybe it's the fact that I'm in the house of a guy I don't fully know.

I sit up. I know Andrew seems nice and all but I can't trust him. Not after what happened. How could I forget all that has happened?

This is what poverty caused. Because of money, I got myself into whatever this is. How could I be so vulnerable?

But it's not like I can quit now. I do need the money. I have to send Jim a monthly allowance. I don't want him to get a job, all he needs to do is study hard.

I need money to reopen my parents case. The culprit needs to be punished.

I need to save enough money so I can go to college, or maybe just participate in an online program.

I need to pay off all our debts. Just thinking about how much it is makes me shudder.

Not wanting to think anymore, I get out of bed and go into the living room. If I continue thinking, I might just break down and ...

So, instead I result to one of my ways of escape. Writing. Yes, I do write. It's nothing serious. I just like to imagine myself as a fictional character. When I'm writing, I feel like the entire world, the destiny of everyone depends on the tip of my pen.

I open my latest book. I haven't decided a name yet. It's a short story about a hopeless romantic girl who wishes her relationship was like that of those she read in books.

I start to write another chapter. I get so engrossed in writing that I don't notice the gradually appearing figure.

"Whatcha doing?"

I jump in fear but look up just to see Andrew with a teasing smirk on his face.

"You scared me!" I pout. "What kind of creep comes out of no where at night and scares the living daylight out of a young vulnerable girl."

Andrew doesn't say anything. He just stands there, that stupid smirk never seeming to fade.

"I demand an apology!" I stomp my foot, still pouting.

He still doesn't move. He just stands in that same spot. I'm pretty sure my face is as red as a tomato. I was embarrassed, no doubt but I still won't back off without a proper apology.

"Didn't you hear me? I can sue you for..."

"For what?" His smirk still evident on his face.

I flush harder, not having a reply to his question. I grab my things and out of anger decide to stomp to my room.

"I'm sorry" he calls out after I take three steps.

I turn my head to look at him. " Do you mean it?"

"I do. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have scared you like that" The smirk that once resided on his lips is now gone.

"I forgive you" I slip back to the sofa and take a seat. He joins me.

"You didn't answer my question. Whatcha doing?"

"Uh. It's nothing. I was just messing around."

He shoots me a I-don't-believe-you look but says nothing. I'm grateful for his silence. I don't think I'm ready to open up yet. Even Theo doesn't know about it. I think Jim does though.

"So, about my offer to help you. Have you thought about what you want yet?"

"Why do I feel like you are rushing me?" I let out a little laugh.

"The sooner I pay you back, the sooner I feel less guilty"

"Hmn. Okay in that case. I want you to help me reopen my parents case."

***
Chapter 11✅

I've been thinking of writing a short story just like that. I'm not sure yet.
Let me know if you would like to read a book like that

Thanks for reading. See you in the next chapter 😊

_Adeola♾️