Chapter 30

Jayden

I drove as fast as I could. She was willing to give me a chance. Jessi was willing to give me a chance.

I finally arrived at the address her friend sent me. It was a graveyard. I was assuming that was where her parents were buried.

I saw her friend at the entrance. He nodded at me, and showed me over to where Jessi was. By her parents grave.

I walked slowly and cautiously sat by her. She knew I was there. I could tell by the way she was fidgeting. But she didn't look at me, not even a glance. She probably hated me already.

I cleared my throat. I didn't know where to start from. "Jessica" I tried to touch her but she flinched. I retracted my hands and my eyes became teary.

"I'm so sorry. I don't even know what to say." She was crying. She let out small sobs occasionally.

"That day was my mother's death anniversary. My dad handed over his company to me. I felt so sad but there was no one to comfort me, no one to hold me and tell me everything would be alright. I went to a bar and drank."

By now, tears had already started to stream down my eyes. " I tried to drink away all my pain but no matter how hard I drank it became worse. So, I kept on drinking. I was wasted, Jess. I didn't even think I could ever be sober again.

"I didn't realize the time I got into my car and began to drive. Nothing mattered to me anymore. And that's when it happened. When I woke up, I was in the hospital. My dad told me he had handled everything. I had absolutely no idea that your parents were at the receiving end of my recklessness. I'm so sorry."

I tried again to touch her, this time she didn't resist but she also didn't look at me. Her friend came over and suggested that I gave her space. My heart shattered. I couldn't bear to lose her.

***
Jessi

It's been a week ever since I've found out about my parents death. I didn't reply Jayden that day. I couldn't wrap my head around everything that has happened.

I've been living with Theo ever since. He didn't seem to mind. He took a break from his work just to take care of me. I really appreciated that.

A knock on the door brought me back from my deep thoughts. Theo came inside with a tray of food in his hands. It was soup, my favourite kind.I could smell it but the smell made me feel like throwing up.

"I've been knocking on that door for quite sometime now. Thought something was wrong with you." He dropped the tray down and sat on the bed, in front of me.

"I'm sorry. I was lost in thought." My voice cracked, probably because of my dry throat.

"You've been doing that a lot lately. Zoning out. I think you need to talk to him. He's worse than you are. The other day, I went to see him and he looked miserable, as if life had been sucked out of him"

I sighed. Jayden wasn't alright. I couldn't imagine how bad he must have been feeling. How he would be blaming himself. He had no one to comfort him the way Theo was comforting me. But then again, I couldn't just forgive him. He killed my parents.

"I know Theo but still, he killed my parents. I made a promise that I would never forgive the person..."

"You made that promise out of anger Jessi. Think about it, your parents wouldn't want to see you hurt yourself and the first person you like because of them." He sighed then came closer to me and pulled me into his arms. His sweet but musky cologne put my mind at ease.

"I know this is hard for you but you shouldn't let the past haunt your future. Let bygones be by..."

"It's more than that" I cut him off. But deep down inside, I knew he was right. He's always right.

I sniffed. " I hate how you're always right Theo. I hate it"

He laughed and so did I. I guess I could say I felt better but I still wasn't ready to face Jayden.

Theo sensed that I was better and placed the soup in front of me. The nauseating feeling I felt when I first smelled it was gone. I wasn't even surprised at the grumble of my stomach. I had been depriving myself of food for the past few days.

I began to dig in and Theo chuckled at how fast I was eating. "Careful. It isn't running away. There's more if you want"

I smiled. He was about to leave when I called out. "One more thing Theo, he wasn't the first person I ever liked... You were "

He smiled. "Glad to know that"