27. Remember

After saying goodbye to Loki, Y/N had texted Stephen to open a portal for her. The look he had given her was devastating. There had been no doubt in her mind that he had been in pain from the moment she'd left.

Y/N had told him everything. He deserved it, the truth.

"So that's why I think my headache lifted. It's like the curse is lifting but not entirely. I want to remember."

Stephen didn't say anything. He stared at the floor shaking his head.

"I know it might be difficult and painful but we've been training and preparing for this moment. I'm ready Stephen and I am asking you for your help," she pleaded.

Stephen shook his head once more. Panic and hurt laced his voice, "And what if he's lying? Or what if something happens to you?" He frantically waved his hands around him.

Y/N knew she could do nothing to take away his pain, it hurt her as well. Doing this, remembering, it would change everything. Scared but determined she stepped closer and took Stephen's hands in hers.

"It is time."

Stephen swallowed hard. "Are you absolutely sure about this?"

"Yes. I understand your reservations but even if I were to choose you, it would mean nothing without my memories. Because right now, I'm not really me."

Stephen stroked the back of her hands with his thumbs, savouring the warmth of her hands in his, knowing full well he might lose her forever.

Y/N let go and hooked her finger under his chin, demanding him to look at her, "Please."

He knew she couldn't do this without him, the plea in her eyes told him as much. God, he didn't want to do this. Wasn't ignorance bliss?

He closed his eyes and sighed. "Okay."

"Thank you," she smiled warmly.

"Sit down, it's going to be rough."

They were alone in the library, and no one was going to disturb them. He saw her walk toward the simple wooden chair on one side of the desk. Her resolve clearly visible in her face and posture. It was one of the reasons he loved her so, her willpower. If this woman wanted something, she would stop at nothing to get it. Besides, when was he ever able to tell her no when she looked at him with her pleading eyes.

He knelt before her, looking up at her pretty face. Y/N smiled at him before thanking him again.

"Don't mention it," he gave her a soft smile.

"Okay, ready to rip this band-aid off?"

Y/N nodded.

Stephen placed his thumb on her head and spoke the words that held all the power.

"Open. Your. Mind."

With a jolt, Y/N fell backwards on the floor. He rushed toward her and pulled her head on his lap. She was somewhere he couldn't follow. Her body spasmed as her muscles tensed and relaxed and went taut again. All he could do was make sure she wouldn't physically hurt herself.

Y/N hadn't even felt the floor underneath her.

"Open your eyes." A warm whisper behind her ear.

But when she did she wasn't where she thought she would be.

She stood in a garden surrounded by stone. Big and heavy bricks in a beige colour which reminded her of sugar cookies her mom used to make. Her mom? His mom? Whose mom?

Y/N stood shaking her head, "I can't remember." A frown formed on her face.

The calling of her name behind her startled her but before she could turn around a dark-haired little boy ran past her.