A simple smile

"Get me the same as him, but stronger!" must have been the most stupid sentence the knight has ever mouthed. To top it off, he never even heard what Espresso ordered because he was so full of weird thoughts. Nevertheless he isn't the type to dwell on bad choices. Mistakes were made and that's fine by him. All he has to do now is pray that Espresso ordered hot chocolate. The Divine should help him in that dire situation, right?

'You have been staring outside that window for the past two minutes Madeleine. I believe it is time that you looked at me instead.' Says Espresso with a judging look. 'I pray that you did not bring me here to give me the silent treatment.'

'By the gods...of course not!' Madeleine quickly bounces back to their meeting. 'I was simply admiring the flowers outside. Despite the cold weather they are holding up quite well. Isn't that great?'

'You could say that.' The Professor nods thoughtfully. He's never shown any interest in flowers that can't be associated with coffee magic so his opinion here is neutral.

'Of course, the most beautiful flower of them all in here is...' Madeleine bites his tongue mid sentence. He was about to say something risky completely out of nowhere. Thankfully all that time training as a knight has taught him that it's never too late to turn back even when the enemy has the upper hand. The enemy here being his own eccentric feelings. '...is that one on our table.'

Espresso's eyes fall onto the small herbal plant gently stuffed into a ceramic pot. It has a nice color, but even he can tell that the ones outside are far more admirable.

'I prefer the one's outside.' He says bluntly.

'Really? Why? This one smells good too.'

'I doubt it.'

'You didn't even smell it.'

Espresso crosses his arms. They stare at each other for a long time, not speaking a single word. They both want to be right but neither of them wishes to offend the other.

'Fine.' Espresso bravely takes the bait and sniffs the herb. Unsurprisingly for him, the smell is unpleasant. Too earthy.
'As suspected. It is nothing special.'

Madeleine deflates on his seat with a sigh. 'Fair enough.' He stares at the tiny plant, wondering if he's the same.

Nothing special.

Those words ring in his head, getting closer and closer to sting his heart. Thankfully, a pleasant tapping sound of footsteps interferes.

'Good morning gentlemen.' The one and only Mint Choco greets the two men with a warm smile. He looks ready to start his day, not a single ounce of tiredness visible in his light blue eyes.

Espresso was the first one to notice him approach so naturally he greets back first. Madeleine follows right after before they both turn their eyes to the tray the musician is carrying. Two white cups hold smoking hot drinks inside them, all ready to be served. Mint Choco has seemingly decided to be the waiter this time before their actual waiter arrives. It is an honor for the two customers, although neither of them admit it.

'Thanks!' Madeleine smiles joyfully.

'No problem. Do you need anything else? Perhaps I could play you some music to ease your mind? You're the first customers today after all.'

Espresso shakes his head, taking a hold of his coffee as soon as it is settled in front of him. In contrast, the Knight Commander has put his mind into another strange loophole. Should he ask for Mint Choco to play them some music or should he just leave the man to his own work?

'Play us a romantic piece if you can.' In the end his pride does not allow for hesitation.

Espresso nearly chokes on his coffee. By some miracle though, he keeps his composure and throat steady. Madeleine checks to see for the magician's reaction but notices nothing but a sullen face. How unfortunate.