The brightest of all

There is no greater time in the day to go for a walk. Left and right, the Academy's luxurious and spotless marble pillars stand proudly, their white bodies embraced in the dancing arms of vines. The slender plants blossom with blue, star-like flowers. Those who steal the show from them, however, are the ones that have stayed rooted at the ground, seeking to bloom with the biggest, most captivating roses that can be found in the Republic, instead of aiming for greater heights. They can be inspiring for those who feel as though their goals are too high up to reach. In a way, those rose bushes remind them of the beauty in existing at the best height that you can. Or maybe that is just a lie. Truthfully, roses are the most high-maintenance flowers out there. The nobles have a better chance raising a slave with just bread and water than a rose with the best gardening supplies.

The Créme Republic Academy has always felt the most alive this time of the year. With the first practical exams around the corner, students are flooding in and out of the large public library, enjoying the company of friends or the reassurance of their strong study groups. Amongst the many different faces, a young boy in his first year sits in the middle of a wooden desk, a book in hand. His leather black bag keeps the space occupied on his right side, while two large books occupy the other. Behind him, his bun is squished against a tree. Overall, he looks irrelevant. Like he belongs in the background of someone else's story. A character only to be mentioned once in a book and then forgotten.

The boy fixes his round glasses. A crowd approaches, voices loudly acclaiming gossip he doesn't care for. Although, one name makes him tune in closer, like a cat on the chirping of a mouse.

'Gosh, I told you. Madeleine is actually here. I saw him at the Grand hall!'

'Shut. Up!' A second girl gasps with excitement.

Another young girl, the same year as Espresso, shyly moves forward. 'I thought he skipped most exams?'

The first one clicks her tongue. 'Pf. Yah, but this is a practical exam. It is easy for a third year like him. I mean, have you seen him fight?!'

'No wonder the Celestial's chose him.'

Their voices fade as they enter the building. The boy is left with a bitter expression. He clenches the book in his hands before stuffing it in the bag with the others.

The Grand hall is the largest and most open room inside the Academy. The reason for that is that it is often used for celebrations that include large feasts or dances. When it is not occupied for a specific reason, it is usually a hot spot for older students to hang out. For someone who is only sixteen years old, the idea of entering a room full of adults that possess a lot of magical knowledge is both thrilling and terrifying to the new students. Still, driven by his bitter anger, the boy pulls his bag and makes his way to where the rumoured "Madeleine" is.

Golden lines form the symbol of the Republic, two wings on the sharp shape of a bird that breaks the skies as it falls. They decorate the two large doors leading to the Grand Hall. The boy gulps, fixing his hair. It's been a long time since he last saw him up close. He never thought he'd get such a chance today. In his mind, maybe, just maybe, after glancing at him, Madeleine will wake up and remember.

The lights almost blind him as he walks in. Something about the hall feels different today. It looks brighter. A single, tall figure stands out in the middle of it. He is dressed in the finest white silks and bears the mark of the Divine on his academic robe. Two golden wings keep his long hair tied up in a ponytail. They make him look like a god. Someone who doesn't belong here, among the mortals trying to obtain the knowledge he was handed so effortlessly.

Madeleine.

The name sends a shiver down the boy's spine. His free hand moves to hide in his pocket. Suddenly, his rage is nowhere to be seen. There is another feeling there. A love that he could never forget.