Finite remembrance

'Espresso!'

His own scream makes him jolt awake. As his eyes adjust to the night sky above the forest he notices birds flying off in panic. The camouflaged knight attempts to stand, yet ends up unsuccessful when dizziness forces his head back down. His breathing only quickens after that, head boiling, eyes wet with tears he didn't even know were there.

A soft, familiar voice soothes his nerves as a hand gently places itself on his forehead. 'Remain calm. We are safe.'

The knight takes a few deep breaths. Upon further inspection of where he is laid, he deduces that the camo pants his head is laid upon could belong only to one coffee mage in his life. The moment their eyes meet a long exhale of relief is let out. For whatever reason, he is more than glad that Espresso is still with him.

While the headache persists, he can barely recall the panic he felt before waking up. Something concerned him and he was sure it had something to do with Espresso. A part of him needed to remember. 'Are you alright?' He asks. Right away, the magician sharply inhales.

'Let us focus more on your current condition.' Espresso's hand continues to stay on Madeleine's forehead.

The knight feels it flinch when he asks the next question. 'How long have I been...unresponsive for?'

Espresso sighs, it sounds like he is struggling to focus as he answers. 'I would guess an hour. It could be longer, or even less. All I know is that I had to drag you out of the cave. I am grateful that nothing came to attack us.' He pulls his left hand away from Madeleine's head and leans back on a large stone. 'After we got out I dragged us over here. We are not too far from the cave, but...' He glances down at his vermin of a friend. '...you were too heavy for me to keep going.'

Madeleine manages a smile. 'The audacity to insult me at this state is quite the skill.' He closes his eyes as he feels Espresso's hand lay on his forehead again. That small gesture alone is enough to help ease his pain, even if no magic is involved.

Espresso's hand brushes off a white strand of hair that had found itself on the knight's face. Madeleine savors the harmony between them. Something had changed in Espresso while he was passed out. He slightly opens his eyes and notices his friend's sadness so prominently attached to his features that it almost seems like he is about to cry. The commander's eyes open further, noticing a fresh scar on Espresso's left eye.

What happened?

He thinks to himself but the moment he tries to recall what his dreams were about, the clouds clear out. Moonlight rushes through the trees, casting a shadow on Espresso, but shining on Madeleine's face. The magician lifts his eyes to the stars. Madeleine barely catches onto what he says under his breath; "-rsed Light Magic" The former word is obvious to him.

'Ah...I think I remember.'

Espresso gulps, his scarred eye glossy with a tear that he refuses to let fall 'Is that so?'

'My magic faded away and I must have passed out from exhaustion. This has never happened before.'

Espresso chokes up. He knows the truth is far worse, or at least he believes he knows the truth.

'This is very embarrassing.' Madeleine turns his head away. 'I...admit that my incompetence forced you to risk your own life. I failed as your shield.' Thinking of the word shield, he starts feeling his sides for his weapons.

'I had to leave them in the cave. They weighed us both down. I am sure nothing has happened to them.'

'But my precious sword can not be left alone! What if someone steals it?'