Sweet illusions

Lithe hands carry the task of gathering the necessary ingredients. A newfound purpose in his magical experiments gives the professor a profound rush of ideas. He snatches a cabinet open, his eyes slick as they slither across the available ingredients. Is the request even possible? Does he know enough about Madeleine to make a coffee he will enjoy? He turns his memories upside down. Words flash within him. Sweet. Sugary. He gags at the idea of a coffee that is not bitter. Images come of Madeleine's light colored lips stained with sugar from sugarcoated doughnuts or glazed chocolate. He digs deeper into his mind, and a wave of heat arises on his cheeks when his mind shows them under an old olive tree, kissing and savouring the taste of caramel apples on each other's lips. It was the first time Espresso had eaten something reserved for the rich.

His slim hands catch the counter in front of him as his head droops thoughtfully. The knight chuckles with quiet satisfaction.

'Do you-'

'No.' Espresso cuts him off. He does not want to lower himself to the point of asking for help. After all, this is a challenge, not an order from a client. He is no barista.

Another chuckle comes from behind him. The cocky knight sits comfortably in a chair, legs spread forward. He knows he is the only person who is so often welcome in the magician's sacred lab. For him, that fact is a giant ego boost. 'Friend, when you emerge defeated, what shall I wish from you?'

Espresso huffs. The mockery is all too distracting. 'Wish for mercy.'

Madeleine grins. 'Will I be punished for bestowing such a difficult task to you?'

The mage turns to him. His face is far from amused. 'It is not difficult.'

A hum comes from the knight, his eyes glistening with further ideas to tease the grumpy man. A smile is all he wants to see from him, even if it harbours malice behind it. 'Then, why has it been an hour already? I did not know coffee took as long as lunch to be made.'

'I have tried multiple formulas, but none have come to be satisfactory.' Espresso grumbles. He doesn't enjoy admitting his failures but accepts them as part of the process. His dark cloak looks wrinkled now from moving around to get the ingredients.

'Well, I have come to a point of boredom. You have me sat here all alone as you bury yourself in work. I have patience that compliments my never-ending grace, but I can not hold back my curiosity when I see you.'

'Tsk. Get to the point.'

Madeleine leans against the fist of his hand. 'I want to watch you work from closer.' His smile is innocent. No mockery. No joking. He truly wants to watch his friend from closer, curious as to how his beautiful hands create their masterpieces.

Espresso finds it difficult to look away from his fixated eyes. 'Do as you please, but keep your presence away from my mind.'

'I shall try!' Madeleine jumps up from the chair. It makes a loud noise as it drags across the floor. Already, his presence is obvious to the entire building. He giddily walks to Espresso, leaning against the counter a couple of feet beside him.

The mage sighs, then resumes his work. Knight Commander Madeleine looks to the sink behind him. It is full of clatter. Spoons, bowls, and strange instruments meant to break down and process the coffee beans that his friend imbues with magic. He wonders his intense gaze to Espresso's hard-working hands. The longer he watches, the further his mind strays from reality until he is imagining those same hands on his skin.

What shall I wish from you?

He catches his shallow breath in his throat. What could he wish that would let them talk about it?