Tears, blood and coffee

Is this far enough?

Blue eyes glance over broad shoulders. A tall building is caught in them as they search thoroughly, measuring the distance and contemplating the answer. After a hesitant moment, the man nods.

If he does not want me there, I should not linger any longer.

A delicious smell is blown his way, engulfing the bridge of his nose and sliding down to his nostrils. He inhales. It is the Kingdom. The lush green Forest in the West, the reigning mountains up North, the wandering magic from the East forest, as well as the endless blue sea that hides the coral reef of the South. All of that is part of that smell. It is different, far different from his home in the Créme Republic. There, the smell of seaweed and hot marble floors is most common.

The man pinches the bridge of his nose. His mind, tired from pursuing the affections of another, needs a break. He considers striding over to the centre of the Kingdom, where the buzz of the market will grow louder in response to his arrival. He imagines himself, standing like the brightest star in the sky amongst all of his fans. It was enough to make him smile in the past, to make him confident and ready to receive the love of everyone that admires him. Yet, he has yet to feel admired by the most important person of them all. In the sea of faces, none of them stand out if he isn't there. None of them could ever make him feel satisfied with their cries of adoration.

He pulls away from that thought, reverting to a state of bleak existence as he stands alone in the street. His right thumb moves to his shirt, caressing a part that looks wrinkled. It is unlike him to notice such imperfections. After bathing under the sunlight for long enough, he always felt refreshed and flawless. It terrifies him how he never noticed that wrinkle. How he never realised just how uncomfortable it is standing under the sun for so long. His palms begin to sweat. A tear crawls up his throat.

I feel strange.

Something about the light repelled him. He pulls away at last, before the tear can fall, then hides under some shade by a nearby building. The darkness welcomes him, embracing his heated skin like a mother welcoming its child back home. He sighs dramatically, wiping the sweat off his forehead.

'Hot day, right?' A melodious voice greets him. Under a large witch hat, a feminine figure stands. One hand holds the edge of her hat, and a white glove pulled over it. The woman tilts her head, letting the shadow on her face move away and reveal a pair of curious chestnut eyes. Her hair unfurls with the wind, rolling into waves over her forehead and hanging loose all the way down to her waist. She is dressed in a brown dress that sticks to her body,
leaving half of her from the right hip and under exposed.

Madeleine smiles, glad to have some company to distract him from his anxious mind. 'Haha, it is! Summer is already here.'

'It appears so.' She chuckles, her other gloved hand barely touching her mouth as she covers it. 'What brings you in this part of the Kingdom, Madeleine? I saw your horse further away. She is busy being fed apples by the tourists.'

The Commander glances over to the tall building. That is enough of a clue for her. She has known Espresso too long to not know where his lab is. As his old colleague, she has always felt the need to look after him, but as of late, she barely gets the chance to greet him, even from afar. Something changed these past two months. The magician became more distant from everyone else, but he is often seen near the knight, even hanging out with him at times.

Recalling Madeleine's apparent interest in him at the Puppet show, a feeling of worry washes over her. Madeleine doesn't look...happy.

'I wondered what the day is like today, so I came out for a stroll. How are your lessons?' He changes the topic as fast as possible.