Chapter 22: Aftermath

No one's perspective

As the life monitor runs a straight line, the surgeon, doctors, and nurses struggle to keep the boy from dying. It wasn't rare to see someone lose a severe amount of blood and not be fixed, but it is heartbreaking for a teenager whose metabolize is faster than any adult to be on the verge of death. A nurse was told to inform the people waiting on the boy that the surgery would take longer due to some difficulties. 

As the nurse exited the surgical facility, Ochaco got up from the chair with Sero by her side and approached the nurse while Bakugou still repeated the same sentence out loud to himself. 

"How is he?" Ochaco asks. Sero looks at the nurse and says, "Is he going to be alright?"

"There were some difficulties in surgery. The surgery will take longer than anticipated, so please, be patient. I'll come back to update you on what is happening," She says before tieing her mask behind her head and entering the sliding doors. 

Sero and Ochaco nod in acknowledgment, returning to their friends with more worried looks. Shinsou was the first to notice and ask as he got up simultaneously. 

"What did she say? Is Izuku okay?" The purple-haired boy asks with worry in his throat. Kirishima looks up from Bakugou and catches Sero and Ochaco's stares; he knows something is wrong, but he continues to create circles around Bakugou's back for comfort. 

"There were difficulties in the operating room, and she said that she'd inform us when she can," Sero says as he sits. Ochaco fiddles with her hands as she also takes a seat. Bakugou removes his hands from his dried, teary face and gets up, worrying about the rest.

"Bakubro, where are you going?" The redhead asks his best friend. 

"...I'm getting some air," The blond responds, strolling away from the waiting room as he heads to the first floor. He exits the hospital and walks to a nearby bench to sit. 

Bakugou slumps on the bench and stares into the cloudy sky, the peak to rain on him. He inhales a shaky breath before bursting into tears. "You fucking idiot..." The blond curses at himself as he lifts his hands to his head, hitting himself as punishment. 

As he continues to hit himself, his sleeve comes down his arm to reveal the tattoo on his inner wrist. The tattoo, he told himself that if he looked at it, he would remember what a piece of shit he is. The tattoo represented depression and heartache: it was a detailed skull, the size of a nickel, with blood leaking from its mouth. He loved and hated it. Bakugou was in battle with his mind. One side of his brain told him to continue fighting for his relationship, and the other told him to give up; he didn't know what to do. 

While Bakugou battles his mind outside the hospital, and the rest try to calm themselves down, the surgery tidy's up. The surgeon sent Izuku to a room and told two nurses to watch him every hour. Check his vitals, his blood pressure...everything. At some grade, the surgeon successfully kept Izuku alive, but he feared that his body would no longer hold on. 

Nonetheless, as the nurses push Izuku out of the OR, Ochaco and the rest rush to the stretcher where an unconscious Izuku lies; the four individuals watch as Izuku is driven away by some nurses, wondering if he is okay. And then, the same nurse came out of the surgical room and removed her mask.

"He's stable for now. Unfortunately, we couldn't continue the operation due to Midoriya's condition," She comments, grabbing everyone's attention. "His body went into a coma from the lack of how much blood he lost," She proceeds to tell his friends as much as she can.