Anticipation - 1

When Mirabel watched her only chance of receiving a miracle gift like the rest of her family melt away before her eyes, she was terrified! How was she supposed to help the village or make her family proud without a gift. Abuela said that her gift would be as special as she was... but does that mean she isn't special at all? 'NO! No bad thoughts! Go away!'

Abuela had rushed her back to her old room after her door disappeared and she cried in her big empty room. She knew Dolores could hear her and desperately wanted her or some else on her family to comfort her. She didn't know what she had done to not get a gift but she hated herself for it none the less. She had seen the look of horror on her families face and maybe even anger coming from her beloved Abuela. Only five years old and she had let her whole family down.

As horrible thoughts ran through her head, her cries for comfort were finally answered. She felt a pair of soft arms pull her into a hug and smelt her mother's wonderful smell of flour and herbs. Julieta whispered words of comfort into her babies ears and tried in vain to while the tears away. It broke her heart to see her youngest daughter in so much pain and hurt her even more knowing she had no explanation as to why she didn't get a gift.

The entire Madrigal family didn't know how to react. Mirabel brought light into their lives. Bruno had seemingly disappeared a few days earlier and now the precious light of their family had no gift. She was the most special one of them all, and deserved a gift more than any of them did. They would switch places with her any day but they all knew even if they could she would be too sweet to take it from them.

Abuela on the other hand was panicked. Her grand baby had no gift and caused the magic to weaken. She knew now why Bruno had disappeared. He had forseen this and didn't have the heart to tell them the bad news. But ten years had passed since that fateful night and it was now Antonio's time to receive his gift. The family was stressed and rushing to prepare but as long as Mirabel stayed out of the way, nothing could ruin the perfectly planned night.