Runaway - 16

Abuela was true to her word when she told herself she would whip her family back into shape but Mirabel would not have it! Mirabel had warned her Abuela that it was because of her the family was falling apart yet she began to scold them all more than before! If her Abuela would not listen to her words maybe actions will.

Abuela had recently pushed her away and called her gift a curse saying she was worse than Bruno because "all fire ever does it hurt others". Mirabel's familia had been horrified when they heard this but left her alone when she locked herself in her room. Mirabel knew her familia loved her but her Alma's words circled around in her head on repeat. She didn't want to risk hurting her family so she decided to run.

If she couldn't stay with her family out of risk, she would watch from a distance and defend her town from the mountains. Mirabel was quick to slip out of her room that night and created some fire in her hands to cover up the sound of her feet from Dolores. She knew that if any of her family caught her there would be no leaving any time soon.

Once she reached the kitchen, Mirabel grabbed some of her mama's cooking and stuffed it in her old embroidered bag. She had already packed a backpack with some extra clothes and other necessities and was ready to go. With a note on her bed saying her final goodbyes, Mirabel left casita and it did not try and stop her.

Casita gave a final wave goodbye to Mirabel knowing nothing could change her mind and did not wake any of her familia. Mirabel's gift of flames was from the candle and she was the town's guardian. She of course was unaware of this but casita couldn't keep the guardian from doing what she thought was best for everyone.