Surprise - 15

"Surprise?" Mirabel stood still for a second as she watched her family's reactions. Antonio was extremely happy for his prima and immediately ran up to her and gave her a huge hug. Pepa and Felix stood there in shock as Julieta quickly recovered and hugged her husband. Luisa let out a happy yell and spun Isabella in a circle while chanting her little sister got a gift. Poor Isabella got dizzy quick but laughed none the less. Dolores stood there in shook like her parents but smiled. Camilo had finally calmed down and Bruno joined the hug with Antonio.

   Abuela being the old woman she is, took much longer to join them and walked in to see all her families various reactions to Mirabel who smiled happily amongst them all. None of them had expected for Mirabel to get an actual gift after Casita but they weren't complaining. Someone as special as her deserved a gift just as special.

Laughter and smiles filled the house that night and continued on into early the next morning. They all went to bed tired and happier than they had been in years. By the next day everyone was rested and wide away, ready to help Mirabel in anyway in training her new gift.

   So far, they had learned her flames could be affected by her emotions like Pepa but not linked directly to them. She could create the fire from her hands and any strong emotion could be used to strengthen them. While Pepe's weather changed on how she felt, the color of Mira's flames would change and so could the heat. Anger made it blistering hot while sadness could cause the temperature of the whole room to drop. Excitement or surprise were simpler emotions and just added to the strength of the flame and currently Mirabel felt very happy making the flames dance around and warmed everyone around her in a comfortable way.

   However, Abuela was not entirely happy. Why hadn't she developed her power at the same time as every one else? She had been hard on Mirabel because she wanted what was best for Encanto and without a gift she only added to the burden of the family to care for the gift-less. Abuela knew the rest of the family would disagree with her but they did not know what it was like to lose their home and loved ones all at once. They didn't understand how hard it was and never would understand. Therefore, it was her job to keep them all in line and protect the miracle.