Chapter 13

Peeta stands up and walks to the window again. I guess we aren't going back into the games, that's what he said and I don't think Peeta would lie to me. If we aren't going back to the arena then why are there photographers here?

"Why are they here, Peeta?" I ask innocently.

"I don't know," Peeta says. "Haymitch doesn't either. Obviously something must have happened because they showed up in such a large amount."

He looks back out the window and I see the corner of his lips tilt upwards. "Katniss, look at this Haymitch is chasing them off with a rake."

That's when I notice a massive man standing in the doorway. Fear shoots through me. The man has Capitol features and is tall and muscular. He is blonde and doesn't look that old. He could easily kill me.

I gasp and Peeta turns towards me. Idiot. He completely ignored the intruder in the doorway.

"Katniss, what's wrong?" He says in a panicked tone. My wide eyes never leave this man. How did he get in? Doesn't matter. If he got in there will soon be others.

Peeta looks over to where I'm starring at but turns back to me quickly. Why isn't he facing this man?

Using the word man is a stretch. He's more like a boy. In fact, he looks much younger than he did just a second ago.

Peeta is talking to me but I have zoned him out completely. My attention is focused on the stranger. No, I feel like I have seen him before.

Why hasn't he moved? Shouldn't he have killed us by now or something? We haven't broken eye contact yet. Something about him isn't right. I stare hard at him. His eyes.
Something weird starts happening. His eyes don't change but the rest of his body starts to transform. Only slightly though. But noticeable enough for me to see Cato standing in front of me. The look of anger in his eye, wanting revenge.

When I see Cato I scream and start to move backwards on the bed. I almost fall off the edge but Peeta stops me.

"Katniss! Katniss, calm down!" Peeta says. "Nothing's happening. You're safe from everyone nothing will hurt you."

I take my eyes off Cato to look at Peeta. Am I imagining this again? It is so hard to tell reality from make believe.

When I look back no one is in the room, he must have been fake. Gosh, I think I am crazy. Peeta continues to reassure me. But for some reason I still have a bad feeling about the doorway.

That's when we hear the door downstairs open.