Chapter 18: Clean Slate

*14 Weeks

I pull my car into the lot heart racing. When I received the text message this morning I knew I had to do this for Calum.

I'm not really a confrontational person in general but watching someone I care so much about so worried was too much to bear.

He barely slept the last couple of nights and I'm getting worried.

Luke and Michael apologized profusely explaining that Ashton would come around.

I really don't want to come between anyone. That's my last intention. I'm hoping to clear the air today.

I pull my purse to my chest swinging my door open and then closed. I can see his figure already. Ashton sticks out like a sore thumb in the empty park.

I walk along the curving path to the bench as his head pops up. He gives me a tight smile and it gives me a nudge of hope. Maybe we can work this out between the two of us. If I can make him see I'm not so bad maybe he will make up with Cal.

I get to the edge of the bench and he stands up abruptly giving me a sweet hug. We sit down and I wait for him to elaborate on why he asked me here.

"Stella. I want to apologize. I feel really bad about how I reacted to the news the other night and I wanted to talk to you about things before I talk to Calum. You deserve that much from me." The tears prick my eyes as the hope overtakes me. I just want Calum to be happy. "Stella. Did I say something wrong. Please don't cry."

I shake my head strongly not wanting him to think I'm angry. "No.. No.. I'm not upset. I'm just so relieved."

He seems to be shocked as he turns his head. "What? You're relieved. I don't understand." He asks as he looks at me like I'm some kind of puzzle he wants to solve.

"I only want Calum to be happy. You're his best friend and I know how much his support means to you. I feel so guilty getting in the middle of that." Ashton eyes swirl with emotion as he sits back further into the bench.

"I'm such an ass. I don't know why I had such a negative reaction..." We both look at the comforting scenery of the park as he comes up with the words he needs. "I guess it's been just Calum and I for so long. He's my best friend; the other boys have settled down and the two of us have been the ones out dating... I don't say this to hurt your feelings but your just different then the usual girls he goes for."

His truth does hurt my feelings but I decide I like knowing up front where he's coming from. It makes me feel like I'm possibly not good enough for him according to Ashton's measures.

"Ashton, I'm not looking to take him away. I'm not really good at this whole thing and I'm just trying to make it work because no one has ever made me feel the way he does. The baby is an added layer but I'm working on coming to terms with that." I take a deep breath working on not taking his words personal. I do feel a little attacked though.

He rubs his hands up and down on his jeans seeming nervous. "When I said you weren't like the usual girls I meant it as a compliment believe that. You should be more offended if I compared you to them. Calum has just been betrayed so many times and I see how he looks at you..." He stumbles over his words for a second before continuing. "I guess I'm scared he's going to end up hurt again. When I found out you guys were having a baby I just panicked because it made everything so real all of a sudden. I only want him to be happy and if you do that for him I really am happy for you guys."

I nod not really knowing what to say. "Maybe we could try to start over Stella. I feel real bad about my reaction. I promise I'm not this much of an ass most of the time. You seem like a cool girl and you're carrying my niece or nephew so you can't be that bad." I smile grateful that he spoke so I didn't have to.

I cannot wait to see Cal's reaction to Ashton coming around. It makes my decision to come here so worth it.

"I would like that Ashton. I meant it when I said I just want Calum to be happy. He's been really worried about you despite how angry he may try to seem with you he's been really sad. It kills me to see him like that so please fix it. Also I really have to pee so can we please go back to his house so you can make up and I don't pee my pants."

He lets out a goofy chuckle before standing up and offering me his hand. I laugh as I take it and stand up with him.

___

As soon as I pull into his driveway Calum comes out to my car opening my door for me. I'm at least 15 minutes later then the time I told him I was coming.

He seems confused as Ashton's car pulls up but my bladder does not have time to explain so I just kiss his face quickly before rushing inside.

He follows on my tail ignoring Ashton completely. "Are you okay baby? Is the baby okay?"

I realize I need to let him know I'm okay before I disappear. I shout over my shoulder not stopping on my way to my destination. "Great but I need to pee. Talk to Ashton." I hear light hearted grumbling as I quickly shut the door and rush to the toilet. I can hear their mumbled voices outside the door as they seem to have a civil conversation for the first time in a couple of days.

Calum left a couple of nasty voicemails in my presence alone.

Believe me I tried to dissuade him from sending them but he just wouldn't listen. I tried to explain that he would come around and fighting was not worth it.

Calum quickly explained he was protecting his family. I can see where he's coming from but I'm glad things seem to be on a better track from what I can hear.

I would like to formally lodge a complaint about them listening to me pee but Calum always stands near the bathroom lately.

He's a stage five clinger even though I'm so early in my pregnancy. He claims he should be close for the baby. I don't buy it but I allow it because I know being on the road away from us was going to be hard for all of us. Might as well embrace his presence while we could.

I finish up washing my hands before stepping out. Calum is waiting for me with an amused Ashton. "This is really creepy you guys. I can pee without help." I laugh as Calum's hands meet my sides.

"So the two of you are meeting up without me knowing now." I blush feeling a little embarrassed. His flirting was not subtle.

"Yep Hood you better watch out." Ashton says hitting him on the shoulder before we all head to the living room laughing.

Calum's soft and squishy sectional has been one of my favorite spots lately. I could sleep here all day.

"How long before you look pregnant?" Ashton asks as we all sit down.

I laugh deciding on how to respond. "My doctor said it might take me longer to show. It's my first pregnancy and with the way the baby is positioned I'm going to carry pretty high. We're lucky in that way because we will be able to hide it for a while."

Ashton nods appearing to accept my answer. I look at Calum and he's still fonding over me. He's so love sick but I don't blame him I am too when I'm not half asleep and my boobs don't feel like they are going to fall off.

He reads me well as he cuddles into me. It's like he can always tell when the pain returns. He grabs the blanket off the back of the couch as Ashton chooses a movie for us to watch.

It feels like the most normal thing as we all lay down for a midmorning nap. The boys have a quiet conversation as the movie starts. It seems like they have a lot of catching up to do and I'm not going to be the one to interrupt.

Besides I couldn't sleep last night. I think it was because I wasn't with Calum. Things just don't feel right without him. I'm going to take full advantage of having the warmth of his body curling around me.

Laying on this couch in his arms feels like it was always meant to be. The world spins right and we are where we belong. Together.

Calum's body vibrates with a laugh as their words seem to fade in the distance. A warm smile comes to my face as sleep overtakes my body.