Chapter 19: Unplanned

*16 weeks

"Do you really have to leave today." I practically pout.

I stand in the doorframe of Calum's bedroom as he packs clothes into his suitcase.

We've been settling into a familiar routine and while we're no stranger to saying goodbye it doesn't make it any easier at this point in our relationship. I've started to take advantage of having him so close for so long.

I would be lying if I said a modicum of fear wasn't in the back of my mind. The last time we were separated things seemed fine until he got home.

Then the miscommunication happened.

Calum doesn't even look up as he responds shortly. "You know I do." His cold tone leaves a chill in my body.

I guess that's my cue to give him space. I leave the room so I don't push him any further and head to the kitchen to grab a glass of water. I understand this is hard for him and I suppose my comment made him feel guilty.

It wasn't my intention. I just don't want him to leave.

I don't even get all of today to process. I'm going straight to work after I drop him off. I've taken off way too much time lately. I take a gulp of cold water trying to hold it together.

Footsteps pad down the stairs followed by the clicking of paws on the ground. I take a small sip of water worried about my emotions spilling over. I wasn't expecting to have to face him so soon.

I face the sink barely being able to hide my feelings when he comes up from behind sliding his hands around my still flat stomach.

"Stella baby. I'm sorry for snapping. I just don't know how to leave you right now. It goes against every fiber of my being." He rests his chin into my neck as we look out the window overlooking the scenic view.

I enjoy the feeling of his body close to mine and try to let go of my hurt. I don't want to spend our last time together for a couple of weeks upset. "El, please forgive me?" He practically begs putting a kiss onto my shoulder as I put my hands over his on my stomach.

"It's okay Calum." He turns me around to face him. He holds a look of sorrow on his face I wish I could take away. I get the need to touch his face.

He settles into my touch grabbing my wrist to kiss it. "It's not okay. I'm working on doing better. I'm just not used to letting people in. I push people away too and I never want to do that to you. We're in this together."

A bittersweet smile creeps onto my face before I lean in to place a peck on his perfect lips. I'm going to miss everything about him.

"We're both bound to make mistakes Cal. Just promise that we can continue to talk about it. I don't want to look back in five years and wonder what I could've done differently." We don't break eye contact as he pulls me in closer.

"How did you get so damn smart El?" I roll my eyes dramatically.

He can be so thick sometimes. "Calum I've always been smart. Don't get it twisted." He pushes me against the cool countertop. His energy has changed so quickly it gives me whiplash.

"Oh, I know you've always been smart. That's what I like about you." My eyes roll into the back of my head as I stick out my tongue immaturely. We both dissolve into a fit of laughter as he lifts me onto the counter.

His head dips into my neck as his lips make work. I swat him away half-heartedly. "Hey, mister don't you dare leave any marks." I smack his shoulder lightly as his lips disengage but stay close. His laugh leaves a puff of air against my skin. "We really need to get going bubs."