Chapter Four

So, here's the thing, Kara has always been a little shy and awkward. Yes, she's always been friendly but she never really fit in with anyone in school. Maybe it's because she always felt like people were staring at her, pitying her because her parents died in front of her. Alex was there of course, she helped her feel more comfortable in their home but she was two years older in school and it was hard for her to babysit all the time.

Enter Mike Monel. His parents are very close with her adoptive parents, Eliza and Jeremiah. Every weekend they would get together whether it be for game night, a barbecue, bowling, anything really. Mike was there every time. At first, they were nine and just plain awkward but they got along well and became best friends. When they were twelve, he told her that he liked-liked her and that it wasn't just because she's really pretty, even though she's like really pretty but she's also so sweet with animals and has really nice hair. After that they were boyfriend and girlfriend.

So, for the next eleven years, Kara and Mike were inseparable, except for the times they would break up which was at least once a year. Mike was the only person she had until she started working at Catco and made friends. Like real friends too, the best of friends a girl could ever ask for.

So, it's a novelty that Kara feels so damn comfortable with Lena. At first, yes, she was nervous around Lena but she's like that with every new person she meets, and her stuttering made itself known again, but after spending an hour with the woman, she felt at peace. Lena has this ability to make her feel complete, comfortable, okay to be exactly who she is. Lena smirks at her like every little thing she does, Lena finds endearing.

That's why when Kara ended the call with her sister and dashed into the bathroom, she wasn't surprised that Lena chased her. Never in Kara's life has she ever showered with someone and it didn't even occur to her that it might be awkward because Lena was attacking her lips with playful kisses and Kara was giggling and they just fell into the shower together. They didn't even have sex, they simply went through their own routine, side by side and by the time it was over, Kara had to admit...only to herself of course, that she really likes Lena.

As they walk down to the restaurant together, Kara's mind is running a mile a minute. She thinks maybe she should hold Lena's hand, they are married, and this woman gifted her so many orgasms and she should be polite. But then there's the weight on her left hand and she thinks about the annulment and maybe it's not appropriate at all.

Lena, for her part, seems as cool as a cucumber, strutting confidently next to her; casual in jeans and and a black button down blouse, her hair freshly blow-dried and looking oh so silky soft.

Damn her beauty.

Kara didn't have time to blow-dry her hair, so it's sopping wet but she did run back to her room and changed into a pair of jean shorts and a comfy v-neck tee.

"Hey!" Maggie calls to them, waving them over to a table that already has Sam and Eve as well.

"They must have exchanged numbers last night," Lena points out as if she's suspicious of the simple act.

"I guess so." Kara shrugs, suddenly feeling extremely self-conscious about the ring upon her finger.

Without truly processing the action, she spins the ring until the diamond is tucked safely into her palm. She feels the weight of Lena's questioning gaze but thankfully, the woman doesn't comment.

Normally, Kara would open with a joke about Alex and Maggie eloping before their wedding next month but she thinks maybe the spotlight will be redirected to her, so she starts with a simple hi. Everyone greets each other as Lena and Kara take their seats. The waitress drops by immediately, offering everyone coffee and mimosas for Maggie and Eve. They quickly order their food and then everything hits the fan and Kara wishes she never left their bubble.