Chapter Nine

Lena was up and out of the penthouse while the stars were still twinkling, Kara's sure of it.

So, Kara proceeded with her day, lying by the tiny pool on the balcony, baking chocolate chip cookies per Lena's request. When it was finally late enough that she wouldn't be waking people up on the other side of the planet, she made a phone call.

"Holy shit that view is amazing!"

"Did everyone forget the simple greeting when answering the phone?" Kara deadpans.

"Hi. And look at you all golden and glowing from your time under the sun."

"Thanks, Maggie," she says, kicking her feet nervously under the water as she remains perched on the ledge.

"So, what's up? How come I'm getting the daily check in and not your sister?"

"She's working this Saturday, right?"

"And you knew that...alright, what's up? What's bothering you?" Maggie asks as she strolls onto her own balcony with a cup of steaming coffee and makes herself more comfortable.

"Ugh, how do you do that? You know me and Alex too well."

"I've known you since you were fourteen." Maggie softens, a genuine smile stealing her usually hard expressions. "What's up, Kara?" And she used her name and not baby Danvers, so Kara knows Maggie already understands the weight of this conversation.

"I want to ask you something."

"Alright." Maggie slowly sips her coffee, then proceeds to set up her phone so she doesn't have to keep holding it during FaceTime.

"Ummm...have you always...I mean...did you know..."

"That I was gay?"

"No, no. Umm, not necessarily that. Uh, I know I've heard you call yourself a lesbian before."

"Good observation. I also go by the name, Maggie."

Kara groans, a very annoyed grumble that is usually reserved for her sister. She angrily shoves her sunglasses on top of her head and tries again. "I meant, you identify as a lesbian. Have you always known or did you struggle with other labels?"

"Oh," Maggie quietly says, her eyes drifting down like she's searching for the words scribbled across her patio table. "Well, no, I just...knew, from a very young age that I didn't like boys and girls were it for me." Kara's quiet, a little too quiet, so Maggie proceeds. "You have known for some time now that you like men and women."

"I know," she quietly concludes.

"Kara, what's wrong? Talk to me," Maggie gently implores.

"I met this woman here, Nia, she's amazing, definitely contender for best friend position."

"Okay," Maggie laughs, nodding along encouragingly.

"She so openly told me she's a trans woman and then asked what I identify with because I had mentioned my wife."

"Ah." She doesn't need to say more, Maggie catches on. "You never had to think about it because you've been with Mike your whole life and hooked up with girls in private."

"Yeah," she breathes a sigh of relief, so thankful that her sister-in-law gets her.

"Hmmm, I wish I could tell you what you want to hear but I think this is something you have work out inside of you."

"I know," she sighs, treading her feet through the warm water. "I just wanted to hear your perspective."

"I think deep down you know and maybe you will feel better if you talk to your sister and mom about it. You never had to come out and all of a sudden you're married to a woman. It's a lot, kid."