Chapter Twenty-Two

"Why are you nervous?"

Kara blinks at herself in the mirror, cocking her head to the side to watch as her wife bends down over her vanity to slip her dangling diamond earrings in.

"Who said I was nervous?" She awkwardly chuckles, revealing exactly how nervous she truly is.

Green eyes narrow while a smug smirk deepens at the corner of her wife's mouth. "You tug at the hem of your blazer every thirty seconds and if you're not messing with that, you're adjusting your glasses that don't need to be messed with."

Kara swallows down the boulder of nerves trapped in her throat and forces her hands to release the bottom of her black blazer. She redirects her attention to the mirror and questions her outfit once again. She was hoping to pull off dressy, yet casual, but she's second guessing the whole jeans with black heels and a black blazer.

"You look stunning," Lena whispers, startling Kara back to reality because she had no idea her wife was hovering over her shoulder. "In fact, you look so gorgeous that I'm thinking we should skip the party and go to bed."

A flash of a smile flickers before it completely vanishes. "Tonight is important," she says, spinning around to peer down at her much shorter wife without her heels. "I know you want me to meet your friends and even though I am nervous, I'm also excited. I want to meet them."

Lena stretches on her tiptoes and plants a kiss of gratitude to Kara's smiling lips. "Thank you but what if I offer sex on the patio, then can we stay home? I know how much you love public indecency."

Kara laughs, swiftly lifting Lena right off the ground and roughly kissing her once more. "Tempting but no."

"Maybe I should sin and provoke the devil to visit."

Shimmering blue eyes roll as Kara gently sets Lena back down. "I think you're a sex addict," she teases, strutting right out of their bedroom.

"You're one to talk," Lena calls after her, persuading a happy giggle to make itself known.

"Come on, I know you hate when we are late," she hollers back as she scoops up Leia and kisses the top of her head before carefully placing her inside her cage. "Be good."

Lena rushes out of the bedroom with two very different heels on and their matching partners in her hand. "Which one?"

Kara hums in consideration. "The black pump."

"The heel is shorter."

"I kinda like it when you're shorter."

"I'm going with the strappy burgundy ones."

Kara huffs in annoyance. "Then why did you ask?"

"It helps me decide what I truly want," she innocently says, slipping into her heels that will definitely make her the same height as Kara this evening. "Be good, Leia," she babbles to the puppy before she rushes to the door.

"Got the keys?"

Lena makes a show of dangling them before dropping them into her purse. "You have your phone?"

Kara pats down her back pockets until she feels the bulky thing. "Yup," she confirms, opening the front door for Lena to walk through first.

As Lena steps into the hall, she whirls around and smiles so brightly that Kara's heart instantly warms up. "Don't be nervous. They are going to love you, I love you," she vows and gifts one last kiss before they leave.

"I love you too."

~~~~

"Stop fidgeting," Lena scolds as they stand shoulder to shoulder in some narrow hallway.