Chapter Twelve

"I cannot believe you didn't leave the house all week," Lena scolds as her fingers rapidly fire against the keyboard.

Kara peeks out from her red blanket, curled up on the leather seat across from the brunette, too many nauseating miles up in the sky. "I just thought it would be best to lay low and maybe by the time we get back to London, everything will have settled more."

Lena pauses, glaring through her long lashes over the laptop before she finally slams the thing shut and sets it down beside her. "Kara, I think you have underestimated the weight of this marriage," she delicately explains.

She leans forward, resting her elbows upon her knees. Her fingers strum mindlessly and seem like they want to reach out and touch but they don't and Kara hates how they can't find a balance in their relationship yet; because it's still so brand new and they hardly spend any really time together.

"I understand."

"I don't think you do. I was not only coming clean about our relationship but I was also coming clean about who I am. For years the tabloids have been snooping around and I have made sure to keep my home life, private. The rumor was that I was a workaholic and a bitch and any man would have his hands full with me, when in reality, I'm a lesbian that's been too nervous about coming out and ruining my career."

Kara sits up at this, her blanket slipping down to her waist as she closes the gap between them and places her hands gently on either side of Lena's. She searches deep in those watery green eyes and finds nothing more than a scared little girl.

"I'm sorry, I really didn't know. I guess I was like the rest of the ignorant people reading these magazines and just assumed you didn't have time to date."

"It's fine, I just need to make sure that when we go back to London, you are going to be able to deal with this and not hide out in our house," Lena sincerely says.

"Look, I was a little bit freaked out about having a driver and bodyguard. I kinda felt like I might be suffocated but I will work something out with Demos."

"Kara, you have to promise me you won't sneak off without him. If anything were to happen-because of me-"

"Hey, I'm going to be just fine. I'm a fighter, alright?" She says, ducking down to hold Lena's worrisome gaze.

Lena sways closer until her lips are carefully brushing against a gentle smile. In a haste, Kara cups Lena's jaw and pulls her in even closer to squash all her fears about her well-being. The kiss is short-lived though due to John and Demos sitting in the row in front of them.

When Kara slides back in her seat, she opens her blanket as a silent offer for Lena to crawl into. The sleepy brunette jumps at the opportunity, claiming the seat beside Kara and heavily leaning into her side as the special blanket is draped across her. Kara wraps an arm around Lena's shoulders and lightly drags her nails up and down her bicep while Lena's sneaky fingers slip beneath Kara's shirt and mindlessly caress the area.

"Hey, I should probably give you a heads up..." Lena cranes her neck, peering up at her so curiously. "Lucy will be at the wedding. I mean, she's been friends with my sister since high school and we are all friends with James as well now."

"Alright," Lena plainly answers and Kara wishes she could read her mind right now because she can't tell if she really doesn't care or she's trying to hide her jealousy. "Well, do you think it will be an issue?"

"No, not at all. Lucy and I aren't like that. We are friends, nothing more, I just wanted you to know, so when I introduce you two, you won't feel blindsided."

"Oh. Um, thank you. I appreciate the heads up."

Kara places a small kiss to the top of Lena's head as light nails drag especially slow across her abdomen. Stupid butterflies immediately jump into action, happily flapping their wings around and sending an electrical charge straight down into Kara's sweatpants. The chills immediately follow, trickling down her body until her toes curl with excitement. Such a little, such an innocent touch and Kara's already melting for so much more.