Chapter 7

Jefferson Jackson could not believe that his life had been reduced to this. 9 months ago he'd been a promising high school quarterback with his pick of colleges after winning his high school football championship. But then that stupid particle accelerator had exploded and so had his world, since he'd been on his way home from celebrating with his friends after the game and he noticed an old man had dropped his case and like the good young man his mother had raised him to be, Jax tried to help him up. Then that dark matter wave hit and he found himself actually fusing with whatever it had been that was inside the case.

The old man had introduced himself as Professor Martin Stein and he'd told Jax that the thing inside him was called the Firestorm matrix. After running tests at Hudson University, Stein had deduced that the energy released from the Star labs particle accelerator explosion had somehow caused Jax's body to fuse with the matrix, something that was very dangerous, though somehow, Jax's body had been able to absorb all the radiation of the matrix and it had even stabilized into his body, something that, according to Stein's calculations, should've been impossible without someone else to act a stabilizing agent, but somehow, Jefferson had. Stein didn't know how to undo what had been done to Jax, but he promised the young man that he'd do everything he could to help him and had even pulled some strings to get him full ride scholarship to Hudson University so he could help Jax learn to control the abilities that the matrix had given him.

At first it had been fun, learning to fly and shoot fire from his hands and also gaining a father figure in Stein. But then the military had shown up and practically kidnapped him and turned him into a lab rat, trying to figure out what made him so special, particularly how he could contain the matrix himself and Stein had been forced to work for him as a consultant.

And when Jax was not being forced to be a lab rat, he was forced to be General Eiling's personal attack dog. The things he was forced to do not for his own survival, but for the survival of his mother and Stein's family, still haunted him. While Jax knew that he was now strong enough to escape, he couldn't let Eiling hurt Stein or Grey as he called him or any of their loved ones to draw him back. But some day, Jax swore he'd get out of here and he'd make Eiling pay for everything he'd done. Little did he know that day had arrived.

"So, what's the plan?" Ava asked her girlfriend as the Waverider landed near the military blacksite they knew Eiling was holding Jax in.

"I spoke to Lyla, who somehow remembers the old earth, but anyways, she's mobilizing Argus to storm the base and take it down and we are going to be the advanced team sent in to confirm it's location and get our people out before Argus storms in and puts Eiling in the prison cell he belongs. Hell, I'm pretty sure she'd had the time, Lyla would've roped Barry in too, since I know he has more than one score to settle with Eiling." Sara said.

"Sounds like we're doing the world a favor taking him down." Ava said.

"We are, but remember, this mission is solely rescue. We get Jax and Stein out of the facility and then we watch as Argus takes away everything Eiling has. It should be fun, watching a man's life be ruined." Sara said with a chuckle.

"You sound way too happy about this." Ava said.

"He's an asshole who's getting what he deserves." Sara said.

"You know you're lucky I love you, because some of the stuff you like is just weird." Ava said.

"Says the woman who's obsessed with serial killers." Sara said.

"Hey, you can't deny that's led to some pretty interesting date nights." Ava pointed out.

"Never said I had a problem with it." Sara said with a grin as she thought back to those date nights.

"I believe you should get back on topic to the task of rescuing Mr. Jackson before he does something he'lll someday regret." Gideon advised.

"Thanks for being a buzzkill like usual Gideon. Come on, let's go." Sara said and Ava nodded as they headed out wearing military fatigues and carrying the flawless fake credentials Gideon had fabricated for them.