60. The Answer Is One

Date: May 6th

"I got you these to help with the sensitivity," Taehyun said, gently putting earplugs in Beomgyu's ears. "It should hopefully help."

Beomgyu smiled and leaned over to hug him. "I love you," he said before sitting back down and putting his seatbelt on.

They drove to school like normal, although Taehyun could tell he was in pain. "Did you take medication this morning?" Beomgyu nodded.

"It should be fine soon." When he parked, Taehyun quickly got out and walked around to open Beomgyu's door. "Taehyun," he giggled. "You don't need to keep coddling me."

It had been a few days since that night and they hadn't gone to school yet, hence Taehyun's overprotective nature at the moment.

He reluctantly obliged though, loosening it to just an arm around Beomgyu's shoulders as they entered the building. "There are our two shining students!" The principal loudly exclaimed and Taehyun instinctively covered Beomgyu's ears. The boy just laughed though because the plugs muffled it already.

"Shining?" Taehyun asked. "Last time I checked, you hated me."

"Regardless of your... behavioral issues," she started. "Your academic record has remained at the highest of your class for the past three years. You and Beomgyu both. Would you like to compete for Valedictorian?"

Taehyun looked down to think for a moment. He already got into college. Being Valedictorian would help him get scholarships and bigger opportunities, but nothing else. It could help Beomgyu a lot.

"I don't really need it-"

"It's an opportunity to wipe your behavioral record of any suspensions or detentions, you know. You make a name for our school and we'll return the favor."

Taehyun's eyes widened. The chance of him getting his doctorate was very low because of his past. Beomgyu also looked at him in anticipation.

"Taehyun, that's perfect," he smiled. But Taehyun looked at him and noticed the hint of sadness in his eyes. Beomgyu hasn't gotten accepted into college yet for reasons unknown. He's been wanting the Valedictorian title more than anybody.

"The thing is," the principal continued. "It seems as though recently, your guys' grades have matched up completely even though you don't have some of the same classes. Behavior aside, there's no actual way for the school to determine it because of this. But one of the teachers did have an idea."

***

"A math contest?" Taehyun asked. "This is stupid."

"No, it's not," Beomgyu said, looking around. "Everyone's gonna be watching us though. Taehyun," he whined. "What if I mess up in front of all these people?"

"My love, you're not gonna mess up."

"But what if I do? And then I won't be Valedictorian? And then no college will want me because I constantly feel like fainting and I might go deaf and-"

"Every college would be stupid not to want you," Taehyun smiled sweetly at him. "You'll be okay Beomgyu."

"But I'm not as smart as you," he mumbled very quietly when Taehyun walked away.

Taehyun smiled when he saw his mom sitting in the crowd and walked over to her. "Mom," he said. "What are you doing here?"

"The school told me about it. I thought I should be a part of one of your school events before you graduate," she laughed a bit and then stood up to hug him. "I'm sorry for not being there Taehyun."