Chapter 40 - A Little Girl

We boarded the plane, where we sat in the economy class section with all the other general public

We boarded the plane, where we sat in the economy class section with all the other general public. I could have ordered us a private jet, but there was no need to spend money where it wasn't necessary.

Alexander of course didn't appreciate this. He muttered things under his breath like, I hate people and, I can't wait until this is over.

Public spaces were not his favourite thing. The only reason he stopped complaining was that he managed to switch his seat and talk to a man he was flirting with.

"Are you comfortable?" I asked Kaia as we settled. Our row only contained two seats so we didn't have to share with anyone else. "Do you need anything?"

"I am very comfortable." She responded, adjusting this ridiculous neck pillow that she asked me to buy for her at the airport. It was red and white and had Canada written all over it. "Are you?"

"Yes." I smiled, taking her hand and lacing our fingers together.

She looked pretty today. Her brown hair was tied in a high ponytail, with loose strands falling down her shoulders on either side. I noticed the golden highlighter she had applied to her cheeks, enhancing her freckles and the rest of her beautiful face.

"I would ask if you enjoyed the wedding..." I broke off, rubbing her palm with the pad of my thumb. "But you missed the whole thing."

"Yeah," she didn't meet my eyes when she spoke, her gaze scanning the rest of the plane like she couldn't be bothered. "I'm sorry. I should have just sucked it up and been there."

Surprisingly enough, these last couple of days had revealed a shocking amount of information about Ms. Kaia Robinson.

Number one: her being 'sick'.

She was lying to get out of the wedding. When I originally asked her to go, she told me she hated weddings, and that she didn't want to, but I forced her anyway.

Although, she could be pregnant. And even if that's the case, was her sickness that terrible? So crippling that she couldn't leave the washroom for three hours? It seemed very unrealistic but then again, what the hell did I know about pregnancies? I wondered if there was a specific reason she didn't want to go or a specific person she didn't want to see.

Who could have that been?

Number two: leaving in such a hurry.

Kaia didn't notice, but I saw Bianca chasing the taxi after we pulled away from the curb. Why did she do that? Did they know each other? Did they get in a fight? It crossed my mind that Kaia might have stolen that despicable jacket from her, so that was why I asked where she got it from. I doubted that theory though.

Number three: Ian.

What were the chances, that Ian got into the same elevator we were in? Kaia's ex-boyfriend? The man who cut her breaks, and got her into this mess in the first place? It all seemed so weird. If he had never done that, if he didn't try to sabotage her then we would have never met, and I'd still be sitting in my office drinking every day like a sad divorced man.