Epilogue

Kaia

Two more weeks had passed since the day I killed my father.

I haven't been able to do much other than stay in bed. The stone had been thrown, and the glass house completely shattered. I was still figuring out how to pick up the pieces.

It helped that Elias stayed with me. He'd stay with me in bed until four in the afternoon when I decided to get up. We didn't talk much, because I wasn't really talking to anyone, or even speaking in general. He just knew I needed him close to me, and it did make a difference believe it or not.

I mean, how does someone get over the fact that they violently murdered their father in front of the man their madly in love with? It was an unusual situation that I'm sure not many others have been through. There was no handbook or website on this stuff. I had to do it myself.

"Kaia?" I felt someone touching my arm, waking me out of my sleep. I knew it wasn't Elias, because I could still hear his soft breathing beside me. "Kaia, I have to tell you something."

Groaning and rubbing my eyes, I opened them to see Bianca kneeling beside the bed. What was she doing here? We hadn't spoken ever since we got back to the condo. I was so frightened to approach her. I doubted an apology would fix everything between us.

"Yeah?" I rested my weight on my elbow and looked at her. She was still beautiful. Hazel-green eyes, shorter light brown hair than she used to have, and a full sleeve of tattoos. Other than that, she still looked the same. I missed her. "Yes...what is it?"

"I know things are weird and I haven't decided if I forgive you yet..." she trailed off, shoving her hand into the pockets of her hoodie, pulling out something white and plastic. "But you're the only woman in the house right now and I had to tell someone."

My vision focuses on the item she's holding in front of me. It's a pregnancy test, and it's positive.

"Oh my god." something moved inside my stomach. It didn't feel good. It was the opposite of what my brain was thinking. She's having a baby, I'm so happy for her. "Are you sure it's accurate?"

"I'm sure." she reaches into her pocket again and pulls out five more tests. She goes through all of them, showing me the distinctive two bright lines that mean positive. "I'm fucking sure."

"Shit."

At first, I thought saying shit was my reaction to this wonderful news, but it wasn't. My stomach moved again, and it wasn't from my excitement, it was because I was about to vomit in Bianca's face if I didn't run to the bathroom immediately.

Ripping the covers off of myself and running to the washroom connected to the bedroom, I kneeled over the toilet and retched into it, my hair falling everywhere and my arms weak from gripping the seat so hard. It felt like all of the food I consumed over the last twenty-four hours was now outside of my body and in the water.

Bianca rushed in after me, quick to hold my hair back and make sure it wasn't covered in yesterday's lunch. I continued to vomit and when I was done, I sat back against the wall and took multiple deep breaths.

"Maybe you should take a test." Bianca sat with her legs tucked under her, giving me the look. "This is how I've started my morning every day for the past week."

No.

"I'm not pregnant." I denied, wiping my hand over my mouth. "I'm not."

Even though Elias definitely finished inside of me three weeks ago, and I wasn't on birth control.

It just wasn't possible.

It couldn't be.

"Take the test and let's see."