Chapter 49 - My Last Wish

Kaia

It took another five hours before I got the call from my father.

Within all of that time, I packed as many clothes as I could into the small suitcase Elias had given me when we went to the Vitale wedding. I also spent a lot of the time pacing around the room, waiting to see if he would knock on the door.

Selfishly, I waited five hours for Elias to come. I imagined he would. I imagined he would knock on my door and kiss me, apologizing for the way he acted earlier. I imagined he would tell me he wanted me to stay with him forever, and whatever problem I was hiding from him, we could fix it together. That it was me and him against the world.

It was selfish of me to want that, to expect that. I was the one who fucked up, so I should have been to one to fix it.

But something inside my head wouldn't let me. Something inside my brain told me it wouldn't be a good idea, to tell him the whole truth and possibly risk getting killed.

"You need to leave immediately." My father spoke very sternly. "Bianca and Raphael are on their way to the hotel right now."

"W-what?" I stuttered, attempting to sound as shocked as possible. "What do you mean? How do they know I'm here?"

"Someone tipped them off." He sounded very angry. I worried for Dominik's safety if he found out who did it. "I've been tracking their location, I can see them approaching Hotel Torres. They're on the highway. Get out now. I've sent a car for you, it should be there."

"Okay," I said, picking up my suitcase. "I'm leaving now."

"Be safe. Don't let them see you."

I hung up and took one last look at the room. This was where Elias and I shared a bed for the first time. This was where we kissed for the first time. This was where I stopped him from killing Rachel. This room was starting to feel like home, and it felt weird having to leave. It was weird that this wasn't my life, that it was all a lie. That I had to return to the place I deeply hated.

Shutting the door behind me, another tear ran down my cheek. I was going to miss this. I was going to miss this more than anything on earth. I would have cried a thousand times if I knew what Elias had done to himself. If I knew he passed out after taking a bunch of pills. I would have run up the stairwell and saved him. I would have told him everything was okay. I would have stayed. If only I knew, but I didn't. I had no idea how badly he was affected.

If only I knew what this did to him.

Once I made it to the lobby, I exited the hotel, and my father's car was there waiting for me. The driver took my suitcase and put it in the trunk while I sat in the back seat. When we began moving, the water fell out of my eyes with ease. I tried to keep it inside, I tried to stay quiet, but I cried hard and loud, all the way until we made it to the airport.

***

I learned that the driver who also escorted me on the plane and back to my house was named Micheal. Once we pulled up to the curb, he opened the car door for me and then grabbed my suitcase and took it inside. I thanked Micheal as I decided to stand outside for a moment. I needed to gather myself before I entered my house. The home I had lived in with Nathaniel and my family since I was born. This was where everything happened. This was where it all went down.

The house was larger than necessary. It had four floors, plus an attic and a basement. It had multiple balconies and a six-car garage, which was in fact filled with the six different cars my father owned. The outside was designed with a lot of gray modern brick, large windows with black window frames, and many white geometric areas to give it the look of a contemporary home.