Chapter 23

Enola pov:

After our shared bath, Tewkesbury was the first to leave the bathroom. He went somewhere else to get dressed and prepare himself, so I would be 'at ease' for a while longer.

I looked at myself in the mirror and sighed. My still half wet locks were neatly arranged on my shoulders.  I was given a yellow dress with some purple details, the skirt came down to my calves. A smile appeared on my lips. "I don't look too bad."

I felt okay again, and that was only because of him. Only because of Viscount Tewkesbury, The Marquess of Basilwether. The biggest nincompoop I've ever met.

The door handle squeaked under my hand as I tossed the door open. On my bare feet, I then danced through the corridors, with a messy pirouette here and there. I felt so free that my heart was floating.

My hand slid over the railing as I slowly walked down the staircase. Downstairs stood Tewkesbury, he whispered something to a servant who nodded after which he made his way into another room. He conjured a small smile on his face and held out his hand. i grabbed my dress with one and put my other hand in his. slowly but surely i felt his lips pressing down. His warm breath on my hand gave me chills.

"Are you ready?" he asked me.

"I guess? I don't know what for..."

"Patience, my love, patience."

The nickname he chose for me this time caused me to bite my lip. He made that sound so sweet and attractive. He escorted me out. In the garden, among many flowers and plants, there was a blanket in the grass with red and white squares on it. How cute. I just chuckled and shook my head in disbelief.

"Another picnic?" I smiled.

"Yes indeed, I now consider these to be our personal weekly tradition."

"Well, fortunately, I love picnics."

Tewkesbury walked over to the blanket and opened a large basket from which he took out two glasses and a bottle, I figured it was champagne. That's fancy. Tewkesbury's also kind of fancy, so not surprising.

"M'lady." Left his mouth and he did a supposedly graceful bow. I looked lovingly into his eyes and walked over to him. I pecked a quick kiss on his cheek and wanted to sit down. "Enola, wait. That's not necessary just yet."

"What? Why?"

Tewkesbury took a step closer, our noses now at most ten inches apart. My mouth slightly opened and I jerkily breathed in and out. Tewkesbury gently grabbed my hands. He looked nervous.

"Enola."

"That's me! That's my name!" I blurted out and laughed uncomfortably. He cleared his throat and blinked a few times. I stared at his shoulder in disbelief. I just said that.

"Yes, I believe that is correct." Tewkesbury shook his head with a smile on his face. "Enola Eudoria Heddassa Holmes." He stepped back again and got down on one knee. My heart sank into my stomach.

"I love you. I never want to lose you ever again. I want to protect you forever, which is probably not necessary but still. I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?"

"I- Yeah. Yes I do. I do." I giggled. I held out my hand for him to put the ring on. "It's so beautiful, Tewky, thank you." I bit my lip.

Standing by the door was his mother, I could see her shed a tear. She looked so proud of her son. At least I hoped so. She noticed me looking at her so she quickly removed herself from the garden. 

I grabbed his hand and pulled him along a little further behind a tree, matter of having a little privacy. I dropped myself backwards against the tree trunk and leaned my head against it as well. I grinned at Tewkesbury with twinkling eyes. He took two steps closer, our chests colliding.

Bloody hell...

I grabbed his face between my hands and pulled myself towards him. I briefly rubbed my lips over his, causing him to groan quietly. He put one hand on my hip and with the other he grabbed the back of my neck, he kissed me long and tenderly. We pulled our lips away from each other to catch a quick breath. I opened my mouth slightly and hastily placed them back on his.  

A few minutes later, we walked hand-in-hand back towards the blanket. I sat down with my legs pulled up. Tewkesbury opened the champagne bottle and poured out two glasses, from which he gave one to me.

"To us. To the future."