Prompt #28

Prompt: Mitch's first day of school and he's so scared so Shane pep talks him

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                “But mommy, I don’t want to go to school!” Mitch said as Carol packed his bag for him.

                “Aw Mitchy, you’ll love school!” Jasper said, ruffling his hair.

                “I wanna stay home with you and mommy!” Mitch said, grabbing his father’s arm and looking up at him with pleading eyes.

                “You can’t, Mitchy. Besides, you’ll make friends at school!” Carol promised. “Don’t you want friends like Shane has?”

                Mitch nodded reluctantly. “I don’t wanna go to school.”

                “School will make you smart. Maybe you’ll get into Harvard,” Jasper said.

                “I’ll be happy as long as he goes to college,” Carol said with a sigh, setting Mitch’s bag down. “There, all packed. Where is Shane?”

                “Here, mommy!” Shane said, running out with his bag slung over his shoulders. “Is it time for school yet?!”

                “See, Mitch! Look how much Shane loves school!” Jasper said.

                “But I’m not Shane!” Mitch said, moodily looking down into his cereal. “I’m not going.”

                “You have to go,” Carol said, flicking him in the head. “You have to go to school. Go be smart.”

                Mitch looked up at her, his eyes watering. “But you and daddy won’t be there!”

                “Mitchy, we’ll be here when you get back!” Carol promised.

                “I’m not going!” Mitch cried, jumping out of his chair and hurrying away to his bedroom.

                He went to shut the door, but Shane stopped him. Shane pushed him into the room and shut the door.

                “Mitch, don’t be afraid! School is fun!” Shane said. “Jace and I will be there!”

                “But not with me!” Mitch said, wiping at his eyes.

                “You’ll be fine. You’ll make friends!” Shane said. “And then you can have fun with your friends, like I have with my friends! And when you do well on tests, mommy and daddy will buy you candy!”

                Mitch grabbed Shane’s hand, rubbing at his eyes again. “Will you walk me to my class?”

                “Yea, sure,” Shane said, leading Mitch out of the room.

                The Marion family piled into their car and drove to the elementary school. They got out and Mitch clung to Shane’s hand again as they walked inside and over to Mitch’s classroom.

                Mitch looked at the other kids. Some seemed at ease, some were crying, and some were still clinging to their parents.

                “You’re going to have fun,” Carol promised him, hugging him. She kissed his cheek, and Jasper ruffled his hair, giving him a smile.

                “It’ll be fine, Mitch! I’ll find you afterschool and we can sit with Jace on the bus!” Shane said.

                Mitch slowly released his hand and hugged Shane tightly. “Find me afterschool, ‘kay?”

                “Promise,” Shane said, lightly punching Mitch’s arm.

                Mitch took a deep breath and slowly turned away from his family. Feeling scared and knowing he’d miss his parents and brother, he peeked over his shoulder at them before timidly making his way into the classroom, wishing he didn’t have to go to school.