Prompt #17

Prompt: Can you do one of like Shane's fear. I mean we know Jace is being alone or having people leave him. Mitch I think is Jace leaving him and Rio well he's just messed up. But we never had like a story where Shane has ever been scared or emotionally broke down. Would love to see what he's scared of

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                I rolled over, blinking against the sunlight. I glanced at my couch, but Jace wasn’t there anymore, meaning he was probably off tonguing my brother.

                I checked the time and let out a whistle. Boy, had I slept in forever.

                But I guess that was because we hadn’t gone to bed until the sun was rising. Jace and I had been avoiding my parents and brother since I had talked him into pulling a prank on them. They were all pissed at us, but mostly me.

                I sat up, rubbing my eyes and stretching. I got out of bed and stumbled my way out to the kitchen.

                “Mom! Food!” I called.

                I looked up when she didn’t reply. I jumped down and peeked around the kitchen, but my mom wasn’t there.

                I turned and went out to the living room, where my dad was sitting with Mitch and Jace. They were all eerily silent.

                “Dad? Where’s mom? I’m hungry,” I said.

                Dad looked up at me and dropped his gaze. “She’s in the hospital, Shane.”

                I froze. “Shut up. That’s not funny. Where’s mom?” I demanded.

                “She went to the store because we were out of milk. She got in a car accident,” he whispered and put an arm around Mitch. “It’s not pretty, Shane.”

                “You’re joking, right?” I asked, my mouth feeling dry.

                “Why would I joke about this?”dad snapped.

                “Then why aren’t you at the hospital?” I asked, glaring at him. He had to be kidding.

                “It happened early this morning. The phone woke Jace and your brother up. We went to the hospital, but she can’t have visitors. Shit Shane, it’s not good,” he choked out.

                My heart rate started picking up. “What do you mean it’s not good?”

                Dad buried his face in his hands. “It’s…Shane, she might not make it.”

                I looked at my brother and Jace, because this had to be a joke. Jace was staring at the floor with a neutral expression. Mitch had his fists clenched on his knees, glaring at the ground.

                “Stop joking!” I snapped.

                “We’re not!” Mitch exploded.

                “Mitchy,” dad said, picking his head up and pulling Mitch close, hugging him and stroking his hair.

                I stared at Mitch, because he was just a kid. He was only 18. And dad. Dad, who had loved mom since they were young.

                I staggered back against the wall, my heart about to burst through my chest. I sank down to the floor and pulled my knees up to my chest.

                Not my mom. No, no, no.

                Images flashed through my mind of all the times Mitch had come home hurt. I had always feared he would get seriously injured or even killed one day. It scared the shit out of me that he was so reckless and so willing to throw himself into danger.

                But not mom. Mom was careful.

                I could remember mom pulling me away from dangers all the time. Grabbing me before I could put my hand on the stove, yanking me away from the pool when I didn’t know how to swim, watching out for me when I was drunk to make sure I didn’t hurt myself.

                She had always been careful. Surely she would be careful driving, right?

                But other drivers weren’t careful.

                I gripped my head as terror pumped through me. Was my mom really hurt? What if she didn’t make it? What if I lost my mom? Would Mitch be even more reckless? What if I lost him as well? And what about dad? What would he do without mom?

                Not my mom, not my mom, please not my mom. Not my mom, not my dad, not my brother, not Jace. Please.

                “Okay, I think Shane is about to die of anxiety,” dad said, standing up.

                “What?” I whispered, looking up at him.

                “Like a car is going to get rid of me.”

                My heart stopped and I jumped up as mom came out from behind the couch. She grinned at me.

                “That’ll teach you to be a damn brat to everyone,” she said.

                “Mom,” I choked out.

                She sighed and shook her head. “Mitch, I told you this was taking it too far. You scared the shit out of Shane.”

                Mitch snickered. “But now he won’t prank us like that anymore,” he said smugly. Jace tried to hide his own smile.

                “I think it’s adorable,” Jace said.

                “It is,” mom said with a nod. She came over and held her arms out.

                I jumped up, hugging her tightly. “You bitch!” I cried as she hugged me back. “Don’t do that to me! Don’t scare me like that! Fucking hell, that wasn’t funny!”

                “Quit swearing!” mom said sternly. She sighed and kissed my cheek. “It was your brother’s idea to get back at you for yesterday.”

                “I’m going to kill you Mitch!” I snapped.

                “Aw, you love your mommy,” mom teased and hugged me again.

                “Shut up,” I said, but hugged her, so relieved she was okay.

                “Shane’s such a mama’s boy. You care about your family,” Jace said, sticking his tongue out at me.

                “Shut up!” I cried. “As soon as I’m done being relieved that you’re all okay, I’m going to viciously murder every single one of you!”

                “You’re a good family boy,” mom said, ruffling my hair and smiling at me. I glared at her, but didn’t stop hugging her. Jesus, my family gave me such bad anxiety. I hated every last one of them, and I would kill them if they ever died on me.