Six

An hour later I am dressed to impress.

Thigh high red boots, black booty shorts, and a red lace tube top. My eyes are smoked out, and my lips are crimson. I was just putting the last curl in my hair when Archer returned. He had ran home for a change of clothes. After finding out his car was out of commission and he walked to my house I had told him he could take my car to go to his house instead of walking. Not without a slight 'pep talk' first.

"Promise me you won't crash my baby?" He reaches for the keys ignoring my plead. I snatch my arm back glaring at him. "Promise?"
"I pinky promise." I almost dropped my keys, because who knew that Archer Michaels would ever pinky promise.

"Woah." I hear him from behind me. Ignoring his comment I flip my head upside down shaking the ringlets out into thick beachy waves.

Checking myself in the mirror once more I smile satisfied. I also snap a picture and send it to Laci, who almost instantly replies back with a bunch of fire and drool emojis.

Once I turn around to Archer leaning against my doorframe it's my turn to say "Woah." He traded his jeans and black hoodie for black jeans, a red t-shirt and a pair of red vans.

Damn he looked good.

Get it together J. My brain screams at me. "Ready Arch?" The nickname slips off my tongue with ease; without my permission. I don't miss the slight shudder in his body when I say Arch instead of Archer. But he quickly composes himself. "Uh, yeah. I also kept my camera with. I figured we could practice your editing tonight." I was confused how tonight had anything to do with our project, but chose not to question him nonetheless.

I walk out of the room waiting for him to explain. "What I mean is I could compose a video of the races tonight, the main focus being you and your car. Then we can edit the video together, to get you some experience for when you edit your video for class later on." It made sense, so I simply agree with him, hopping in my skyline.

The engine roared to life and my body was on fire with excitement. "Do you plan on getting in or are you just going to stare?" I yell out the open window. Archer quickly jumps in the car, I speed off before he finishes closing the door.

"So how did she drive for you?"
"She's fast that's for sure. You built her yourself right?" I like how he doesn't judge that my car is a she.

"Yes I did, been working on her for a few years. I found her at the junkyard just rotting away, it was sad seeing it like that. I knew I needed her. She's perfect now which means I need a new project car."
"Maybe you can help with my car." He jokes, but the thought of helping work on his car was appealing. It could be like practice for when I'm taking real customers in the future. "Alright sounds good to me, besides my dad would probably kill me if I brought another car home." His booming laughter filled my car.

*****

Pulling up to the field you could see the divide clear as day. Barricades made of spray painted Walmart totes put up creating a block from where the kickback would be later. Right now the only people behind the barricade we're the bartenders, DJ, and a few random stragglers who were setting up various teepees of wood for tonight's fires.

In front of the barrier the TV's were being set up. A couple years back we all chipped in for TV's and trail cams so bystanders could watch the races as we go down the mountain. Everyone being sick and tired of it being able to see everything that was going on.

I pulled into my usual spot, everyone knew not to park here. To the point where Laci, the crazy bitch, had a 'Reserved for Queen Jupiter' sign made for me. "You have a reserved spot here? You must really have a pull with these people." I couldn't help but laugh. "The sign was Laci, she was trying to be funny. I've always parked in this spot and everyone knew it. So about a year ago she had the sign made as a joke. Everyone ended up loving it so it stayed. We're all just one big dysfunctional family here so nobody was really offended. We all got a good laugh."