Chapter 3 The Reaping

Me and my three friends hand-in-hand enter the Square. We hear- wait is that Effie Trinket?! I thought she wouldn't even be heard of after Katniss's death. I glance up to the stage to see not only Effie,but a gun to her head held by a Peacekeeper. Ignoring that fact me and my four friends get our blood tests and enter the square. All 5 of us in tears and crying as our hands still lock. "Umm Welcome welcome! The-the time has come to select-um to select 4 males and 4 woman to be a part of-the" I realize that Effie constantly glances back at the gun to her temple and she continues "As usual.. Ladies first"
My heart stops. This moment will decide my friends faith,my brothers faith,my faith. She reads the first name..
Teresa Lawrence
"NO" I scream as I turn to Teresa tears rolling down her eyes as something amazing happens
"I volunteer as tribute" we hear someone say. I begin to celebrate when it rains on my parade and I see our "Mystery Volunteer"
Our very own Savannah Hutcherson
Teresa grabs Savannah's shoulder
"Don't do this"
"I need to"
"I love you Savannah"
They embrace each other in a hug as they cry and we all join in.
Effie sounds worried "Oh-um a volunteer I see..." She is obviously thinking how Katniss volunteered for Primrose. "What's your name" Effie asks Savannah worriedly. "Savannah" she chokes out and takes a look at us 4 and smiles. "How brave of you to step up for your-" Effie gets interrupted "Best friend" Savannah answers sharply. "Okay then, next girl" Effie says.
Kristin Hemsworth
Some girl I barely know but Bella obviously does because she breaks down in tears. Ava soothes her. Ava is my best friend. We are always there for each other Teresa and Savannah are also my friends but Ava and I knew each other forever. My thoughts are interrupted by the next name
Ava Smith?

I literally drop to my knees when I hear her name. Ava knows me too well for what I'm about to do. I start to scream "I VOLUN-" Ava puts her hand on my mouth and shushes me. "It's going to be okay"
She walks up onstage and grabs Savannahs hand. She makes a silly face which makes me laugh. She always knows how to make me laugh at terrible times.
Nothing can prepare me for who's name is next