Chapter 2 - Alex

Song: The Shade - Rex Orange County

My life is pretty simple.

I go to school, come back home, do homework and hang out with my best friend. That's pretty much all I do.

I know that I don't have much of a life but I prefer it that way.

I have an amazing family that cares about me so much.

I could say I have everything I need, but somehow I always feel like I'm missing something.

"Alex, it's 6:20. You better get down here or you'll miss the bus!" My mom yells at me from the bottom of the stairs.

"I'll be down in a minute!"

I gather my things, put some clothes on and head down stairs.

I'm not wearing anything special, just a plain white shirt with a baggy knitted sweater over it, jeans and my sketcher sneakers. Pretty much my style everyday.

"I'll be going now, mom." I say as I see her in the kitchen then spotting my dad leaning agains the counter beside her.

He gives me a nod and a smile and I do the same.

"You didn't even eat breakfast honey." She says with concern in her voice.

I look at the table and grab an apple from the fruit bowl.

"I'll just eat this for now." I tell her adjusting my glasses and heading towards the front door.

"Alright, well have a nice day sweetie."

"Bye mom, bye dad." I go out the door closing it behind me and head to my bus stop.

As I'm walking to my stop, I look behind me and notice my neighbor, Scarlett, in her car that's in her drive way. Probably about to leave for school as well.

We've been neighbors since we were born. We used to be close but I guess the older we got the more we grew apart.

I get to my stop and see that Amanda is already here.

"Hey Alex!" She says with a wide smile as I get closer.

"Morning, Amanda."

Amanda and I have been friends for pretty much all of high school. We became friends by the time Scarlett and I no longer got along freshman year. Amanda has become my best friend and I care about her a lot.

"So, wanna hang out later today? We can do our homework together?" She asks swaying from side to side.

"Sure." I say and she gives me another wide smile.

Suddenly we hear a car speeding by really fast. It drives past us making us jump a little.

"Oh my God! I hate little miss perfect so much! Don't you think she's just so annoying and fake?"

I watch as Scarlett speeds by "Yeah." I breath out at the same time our bus pulls up.

"Finally! My legs were starting to go numb from standing here!" Amanda complains as we get in. We find a seat together and make small talk until we get to school.

30 minutes later we finally arrive.

"Alright, see you at your house later?" She asks as we get off.

"Yeah just text me when you're on your way."

We say our goodbyes and head to our separate classes.