Chapter 21 - Scarlett

Song: Hoso Boyo - Mac DeMarco

"I mean is that really all they think about? How to get in my pants?" Rebecca rants on about the trouble she went through with some guys at last week's party. One I did not attend.

Apparently she was talking to some guys from the basketball team but then they started acting like horny assholes and were suggesting a threesome. After she told me, I had the sudden urge to find those guys so I could cut their balls off. Weird.

"They're jocks Rebecca, what did you expect?"

"A normal conversation?" She huffs in frustration as she floats around in my pool. A normal conversation isn't something you can have with the jocks at our school.

It's Saturday afternoon so Rebecca came over. We've been using the pool for the past hour.

I had gone with Alex to our usual hike earlier this morning and we had a nice chat. I've gotten a lot better at keeping up with his pace and honestly, I enjoy it. Getting to that beautiful waterfall is worth it every time. Sometimes I want to just jump and fall in the pool of water that surrounds the bottom. I should do that next time.

"I just don't understand why all the guys I meet are complete jerks. I just want to find a decent guy for once." She complains swimming around in the water.

"Don't we all." I reply back.

She stops and stares at me for a moment like she has something to say.

"What?" I ask staring back.

"Nothing." She sighs continuing to swim around. Wonder what that was about?

"Oh! I just remembered, that party you told me about at your dad's law firm. When is it again?"

"In like a month I think."I answer as she nods her head.

"Doesn't Alex's dad work there too?" It's my turn to nod my head in answer. "So he'll be there?"

"Yeah, but why does that matter?" I question.

"No reason. Just wondering." She says smiling innocently but again I chose to ignore her weirdness.

"Have you started looking for a dress?" She asks next.

"No, not yet." She starts getting out of the water as soon as I say that.

"Where are you going?"

"Where do you think? We have to find you a dress. I am determined to help you find a dress that leaves everyone awestruck." She says with her hands on her hips, posing dramatically. I could practically see the excitement in her eyes.

"Right now?"

"Yes right now! Now c'mon let's each take a shower so we can go to the mall." She says pulling me up from the tanning chair I was laying at.

Ughhh, there's no stopping her now.

~~~~❃ ⬢⬡⬢⬡⬢ ❃~~~~

"What about this one?"

"If I wanted to look like a flamingo, I'd just go to the costume store across the street." I say as Rebecca shows me the most pink feathered dress I've ever seen.

"But it really suits you." She grins holding it up in front of me.

I give her a blank stare.

"Oh my God! I'm kidding, calm down. Let's keep looking."

We continue to search throughout the many racks of dresses. I will admit that there are many stunning dresses but I haven't seen one that completely catches my eye.