Chapter 22 - Alex

Song: Seasons - Wave to Earth

"Have a nice day." I wave off the last costumer of the day. I am so exhausted from my shift but I'm still going on a hike with Scarlett.

She was so excited the other day after she suggested to see the waterfall at night. The way she looked at me with those pleading doe eyes she was doing, I couldn't say no.

It was kind of amusing to see her act so excited. I want to see her get excited for things more often. She rarely ever acts that way anymore.

Besides she's had a couple of rough days after getting in trouble with her parents, this would be a great way to cheer her up.

"I'll be leaving now, Oliver." I inform him as he finishes cleaning up some tables.

"Alright. Be safe on that hike you're going on with Scarlett. Take flashlights!"

"We will." I assure him and head home. It's like a 10 minute bike ride.

On the way my phone buzzes with a message from Amanda.

Amanda: whatcha doing friend???

Me: I just finished my shift. I'm heading home now.

Amanda: I keep forgetting you took that job. I barely see you anymore :(
Want me to come over so we can study. :)

She really does have studying on her mind all the time. I mean, I suppose that's a good thing but I get exhausted. Besides, since I'm busy, I'll just tell her I can't but I won't tell her I have plans with Scarlett. Amanda still has a hard time accepting my friendship with Scarlett and I really don't want any trouble right now.

Me: I'd love to but I'm beat. Maybe another day?

Amanda: sure no worries! Rest well ;)

As I send her a final thank you message I approach the corner to the neighborhood.

Once I get close to my house I notice Scarlett sitting on the steps of my front porch. Something seemed wrong with here. She sat there with furrowed brows looking at her shoes and clutching the pendant on her necklace. She's anxious again.

I look over to her house and notice her parent's car parked in the drive way. I'm sure they have something to do with how Scarlett is acting.

"Scarlett." I call out to her once I'm close enough. She turns to me and puts on a soft smile but I can tell she's trying to mask how she's actually feeling.

"Everything alright?" I ask standing in front of her making her crane her neck up to look at me.

"Hmm? I'm fine. I just thought I'd wait out here for you." She smiles standing from the steps. If I didn't know her I would have believed her but I know better. I decide not to ask her about it for now. Now I really just want to take her to see the waterfall like she wanted to cheer her up.

"Wanna come in? I just have to get my things so we can leave."

"Sure." She says and I head into the house with her following behind me.

"Mom, I'm back!" I call out and see her making her way out of the kitchen towards us.

"Hey honey! Oh and hi Scarlett. How are you sweetie?" My mom asks bringing Scarlett in for a brief hug.

"I'm good." She smiles hugging her back.

I go up to my room and leave them conversing down stairs.

I get dressed into my baggy grey sweat set and look for my bag once I find everything I head back down.