Chapter 13 - Scarlett

Song: Softcore - The Neighborhood

"C'mon. Pick up the damn phone." I mutter pacing my room back and forth with my phone up to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Rebecca, Finally! How long does it take you to answer the fucking phone?" I protest.

"Damn, I'm sorry! I was helping my mom with some food. We are making, baozi for tonight so she needed a hand." She explains.

"Wait, your mom isn't working today?"

"Nope, she took the day off."

"Damn it. I was hoping she'd take me in today."

"Need a hair appointment?" She asks.

"Desperately." I answer with a small sigh.

"She can probably fit you in tomorrow. I'll ask her and text you the time later."

"Okay." I say hanging up the phone.

At least tomorrow is Sunday, so I don't have to worry to much about someone seeing me.

I head down stairs to start getting my things to head to the gym. I hadn't realized the time so I'm late again because I was talking to Alex.

I enter the kitchen and freeze at who I find.

"Why do you look like you've just seen a ghost?" My mother asks annoyed.

"What are you two doing here?" I question referring to my mother and father who sit at the kitchen island.

"It's our house Scarlett, why wouldn't we be here?" She rolls her eyes at me. Because you're barely ever here. You almost gave me a heart attack.

"I- you scared me. I didn't hear you come back." I say making my way to the fridge.

"You better be getting ready for the gym." She huffs as she runs her fingers through her blond hair.

"I'm am. I'm making myself a protein shake." I respond showing her the cup.

She purses her lips as her eyes scan me from head to toe.

"You look fat." I try hard not to show my irritation as she says that. My father is of course sitting there not saying a word, as always, as he reads the newspaper. Who even reads those anymore!

"I'll workout harder." I mutter walking out of the kitchen but before I can make it out, I feel a rough tug on my arm causing me to spin around.

My mothers furious eyes meet mine and I already know what she's going to say.

"Why did you let your roots start showing?" She seethes.

"I didn't noticed until today. But I already made an appointment for tomorrow." I tell her calmly. She might have a scary look on her face but she doesn't intimidate me.

"With that Chinese woman?" She scoffs.

"With Miss Wong." I say correcting her.

"What did I tell you about going there?! You should be going to a white woman who knows what she's doing." She did not just say that. She is seriously pissing me off!

"It doesn't matter mother! Has Miss Wong ever done a bad job with my hair? No. So it's the same thing if I go to Miss Wong and I prefer her anyway."

"Ugh, whatever, just get it done." She scoffs again, I start to walk away. "And make sure you're taking your pills and putting that cream on. You are showing more color than you should." She yells but I ignore her and keep walking up to my room.