Chapter 9 - Scarlett

Song: Oyster Bay - Will Epstein

So, my life definitely didn't get any better.

For starters, as you already know, I got assigned to do a project with the nerd. I didn't really mind at first, but then he pissed me off, so it turned into me not wanting to be around him, but guess what? The universe hates me. So now I have to tutor him in Spanish too. I am planing to torture him during the tutoring though, so I guess that'll serve as payback for all the insults.

Now to make things worse, somehow I find my self sitting at his dining room table along with his parents to have dinner. Just great.

It's just that the hopeful look Emma gave me, with those gorgeous green eyes of hers when she asked me to stay got to me. How could I say no to her. She is such a sweet woman I couldn't refuse.

I sit next to Alex on one side of the table whilst his parents sit on the other. I can feel Alex's awkwardness beside me it's practically radiating off of him.

"So tell us Scarlett, how have you been?" Ah, there it is. The dreaded question. How have I been?

"I've been good." Not. "I haven't really done much the past few years, just school." I nod as I cut and eat a piece of the chicken parm Emma made. God this is delicious.

"Well it's good that you're focusing on your studies." Emma smiles.

I feel a bit awkward sitting here trying to eat with them. Don't get me wrong, I've always loved Alex's parents ever since I was little, but it's been so long since I've interacted with them, it feels strange.

"How about your parents? How have they been?" Cameron asks.

Well if the previous question wasn't bad this one definitely is.

"They're... fine." Is all I can seem to say. I can't really say much else. I don't speak to them enough to know if they aren't fine just like they don't know if I'm fine or not either.

"Well that's... good." Emma tries answering. Now I feel bad since I know she noticed the awkwardness behind my answer. "Are you planing on attending the ball this year?" Emma asks next deciding to change the topic.

"The ball?" I question in confusion.

"Yeah. The company where my dad and yours work at throws a ball themed party each year, remember?" Alex says jumping into the conversation. Right. I totally forgot my father and Alex's dad work at the same law firm. I know they don't work on the same floor though so they don't see much of each other if not at all. Cameron does immigration law while my father does corporate law.

Each year the firm throws a ball themed party where everyone gets to wear fancy suits and dresses. There's fancy music to dance to, fancy food and what not. Why do they throw such a party? Beats me.

"Oh the ball!" I respond turning back to Emma. "Well, I'm not sure but most likely, yes." Mother will probably make me go considering I've gotten my self out of going the past few years. I don't think she'll let it slide this year though. She's been on my case more than usual lately.

"Oh you should definitely go. I can already imagine you wearing a stunning dress and looking so beautiful. Oh, and Alex an elegant suit. Oh, you'd look so handsome!" Emma gushes excitedly.

"Mom, please." Alex groans in embarrassment making me laugh a little. I love Emma for embarrassing him. It's so funny.

"Well I'm sure whichever dress you use will look amazing as well Emma." I compliment.

"She'll definitely be the most beautiful woman at the ball, as always." Cameron says taking ahold of Emma's hand and placing a sweet kiss to the back of it.