Chapter 17 - Scarlett

Song: In The Bosom - Sweet After Tears

Friends.

I have lots of those.

So why couldn't I just add Alex to the bunch?

Because he's a nerd?

Oh shut the fuck up. You know you don't care about that.

That's right, I don't. It's not because he's a nerd, it's because he was once my best friend and then he wasn't. He's not someone I can just add to the bunch. Besides, he hated me just a few months ago, so why would he want us to be friends again?

"Scarlett?" Huh?

"Yeah?" I question as Alex brings me out of my thoughts.

"I said I'm done with this one." He tells me handing me the work sheet I had given him to complete. I take it from him and scan over it.

"It's good." Is all I can seem to say handing it back to him.

It's been so awkward since he asked me to be friends again. I just don't know what to say. He seemed so sad as he ran out of the classroom that day. I'm not even sure what I was going to answer him. He didn't let me finish. I thought of saying no but then I got to thinking and I don't really see the problem with us becoming friends at this point.

What if we do become friends again? I mean, it's not the worst idea. We've been getting along well lately and don't fight. It's fun being around him. I wouldn't mind being friends again, I think.

But I thought he hated me after I stoped talking to him 4 years ago. I didn't even give him an explanation so I thought he would hate me forever.

You didn't really have a choice back then.

I think for a moment staring at his back as he sits facing his desk. He's got a broad back. Why would you notice that?!

"Alex?" I find my self calling out to him.

"Yeah?" He questions turning towards me.

"I'm sorry." I say in a voice nearly above a whisper making his face contort into one of confusion.

I'm sorry. Why exactly? I'm not sure. Sorry for 4 years ago? Sorry for not saying yes to being friends again? For everything in between? I don't know.

"What-" Alex begins to question.

"Hey kids, what are you up to?" Emma's cheerful voice interrupts him as she enters the room.

"Hi Emma. We're just about done with tutoring for today. I was just about to leave." I say getting up from the bed, collecting my things.

"Already?" I hear Alex ask, abruptly getting up from his chair. Seems like someone doesn't want me to leave.

"Why don't you stay for dinner, honey? It's been a while. I made lasagna today and I remember how much you liked it when you were little." Emma offers.

Oh my God, lasagna! I fucking live for Emma's food, especially her lasagna. Whenever she would make it I'd always get seconds because it was so good.

"Yeah, you should stay. Consider it another thank you meal for helping me." Alex says and I notice the hopeful look in his eyes.

It's been a while since I've had a home cooked meal. Xio usually makes some for me, I also live for her food by the way, but I've been too busy to go over and she's had her hands full with work and Abue to come over, so I don't blame her. If I leave now I probably won't eat anything at my house and I'm starving. "I'd love some lasagna." I smile at Emma deciding to stay.