Chapter One

Chapter 1

October 8th, Thursday

~

'Ugh. Algebra. Why does there have to be an algebra 2? Like, I think I got enough of the first algebra freshmen year,' I complained in my head. Obviously I'm in math class right now...struggling to survive. It was Thursday and on Thursdays we had test.

I honestly didn't study because how do you even study for a math test anyway? Stare at the formula until you get it? Remember answers to specific problems? Yeah, I could do that, but by junior year of high school, you find out every test you're ever going to take that has a study guide, that the actual study guide doesn't even have what's on there ON the actual test. So by now you ask, why bother?

"What the hell is this?" The guy beside me mumbles. I pathetically chuckle. "Do you get this?" He turned to me. I looked at him.

His black hair even with tan white skin tone that fits his milk chocolate brown eyes, his vampire teeth so white and sharp, you'd think he was one. He wasn't bad looking considering he was on the schools football team for best quarterback, but I didn't have feelings for him.

And I was probably the only girl at Cumberland High who didn't.

"Nope," I told him honestly, but in a proud way.

"What? I thought you would Kit-Kat. You're smart," he hid a smile. I chuckled.

"That's only in English stupid," I commented through my breath. "But what do you understand anyway?" He smiled leaning back in his chair.

"Feisty one today, yes?" I shook my head.

"Shut up Jake, I'm 'trying' to take my test," I looked back at the two-sided paper choosing C after I haven't picked that in awhile.

"Well sorry," he pretended to surrender.

"Uh, excuse Mr. Lander, is there any reason why you're talking?" Our teacher asked him. He glanced at me and I glanced at him back. Since he was a bad boy I was going to think he was going to blame it on me to get him out of trouble even though initially it wasn't any of my fault, but he changed the subject.

"Actually yes. No one gets this test," he said bluntly leaning back in the chair with a crooked smile. I glanced at him along with our other peers.  

"Excuse me?" Our teacher replied. He sat up.

"No one gets this test," he repeated with a shrug. "You see, since I'm failing this class by 3 points, I figured I'd study last night on the review, but none of that stuff is on here from the review, so how do you expect us to pass?" he laughed as if it were ironic. We all did.

Told you so.

"You studying Mr. Lander?" My teacher lowered her glasses. "That's already hard enough to believe." The class chuckled.

"You don't have to believe me, because it's still true. Hey, did anyone in this class look over the review?" Thirteen out of the twenty two people raised their hand. "Now how many of those questions are on this test? Show me the fingers or none at all." Everyone put their hand back down except one person.

"And what question is that Billy?" Jake crossed his arms. Billy was the weird nerd boy who always finished his test in less than ten minutes like a human calculator, but this time he still had it and he smiled saying,

"Well the header's there." We all laughed.

"Be quiet class, this is a grade. Just try your best," Mrs. Leminburger looked down at her desk.