Chapter Five

Chapter 5

October 9th, Friday

~

The end of school came quicker than what I expected.

Asher and I in physics still continued our plans to go out to eat Tuesday, and it was official we were going to Taco Bell only because of what Jake said last night and that's where I was practicing tonight.

Mr. Will asked about my writing for the contest and I informed him I was still working on it and he said good writing does take time although he was apprehensive to see what I came up with. Jake in that class was annoying as always and I brought up why does he question he doesn't get anything done in that class if he doesn't try...

I think I got his brain working again.

Charlotte showed me some costumes last period before she left early to meet her aunt in the hospital whose in labor, but I felt the costumes were too much or too slutty and we didn't approve of them in the end. She promised she'd keep trying while she was in the waiting room. She was serious and I wondered if she did it because she wanted me to go with her to the party or for Asher...? But knowing her as my best friend, probably both.

So that brings me to now. At home getting ready to go to the Taco Bell with a boy I didn't like.

Jake told me to pretend this was the 'real deal' so I took a shower, re-did my make up, and changed clothes, but I made sure to NOT look as good as I would for Asher.

I didn't want to trigger Jake's feelings considering if Celeste found out.

I'm headed there now in jeans, a red plain shirt, white converse, and my hair in a messy bun. It was cute but....casual. Just an everyday make-up routine. No smokey eye or wing. Just simple and classy.

I showed up and Jake was on his phone chillin' outside his car. When he saw me he looked up with open arms. "Kit-Kat. How nice-" but I quickly plastered my hand in his face and said nonchalantly,

"Let's just get this over with." He chuckled heading inside.

"Alright then."

He opened the door and I began to walk through but he quickly pushed past me and walked ahead of me and I huffed my breath pushing him forward and he laughed. "Can't take jokes Kit-Kat?"

We headed in line and he stared vigilantly at the menu. "So the first and most serious question...." I looked at him. "Whose paying?"

"Asher," I told him. He shook his head.

"No, no, now?" He asked. I glared at him.

"Um you're paying for your food and I'm paying for mine. This is not a date," I informed him searching for my card in my wallet.

"Ha! Ha! You got me good Dee. I've been bamboozled," Jake said with a chuckle. "I thought you had me."

"No you bamboozled yourself," I replied still looking for my card. "I told you loud and clear we're JUST "friends," I included the quotation marks. He laughed as I still searched for my card.

"Haha, I know I know," he backed off. We were next in line and I told him to order his food while I was struggling with my wallet trying to find my card. He ordered and he looked back at me and he chuckled.

"Do you need some help Kit-Kat?" He whispered to me.

"No. I don't want your help," I said quickly. I looked up with a big smile on my face and I ordered still looking for my card after the cashier told me my balance. I guess by my struggle Jake offered to pay for my meal and I told him not to but he did anyway. I crossed my arms and shrugged.