Chapter Twenty

Chapter 20

*Dawn's Point of View*

~

We left out the store and I was still kind of shocked Jake bought me all those clothes I wanted and he seemed so calm about it and somewhat secretive and I just couldn't let it go...

'Jake bought me all these clothes in which he didn't have to do, like...at all, but he did anyway so...why did he do it?' I glanced at him from the corner of my eye as we continued to walk throughout the mall and after I looked at him for awhile, I turned back to look in front of me. 'Maybe he was just being nice...' I thought about what I just said. 'No...Jake being nice to me will NEVER happen...unless if he was drunk or wanted something from me....' I looked at the ground. 'And Jake isn't drunk....' I looked at him. 'And I know he doesn't want ANYTHING from a girl like ME.' And with that, I had to ask-

"Uh...Jake...?" I got his attention slowly.

"Yess?" he dragged as if he knew what question I was about to ask. He probably did.

"Why did you...why did you buy me....these clothes again?" He shrugged with squinted eyes.

"Just because. We're friends right?" he asked. I nodded with wide eyes.

"Yeah just friends but-" I emphasized. He talked over me.

"And friends do things for each other, like buy clothes. So... I bought you clothes. Nothing wrong with that right?" he asked. I bit my bottom lip thinking about it, feeling iffy about it all. He chuckled probably by my second thoughts. "Haha, it's okay Kit-Kat. It's free clothes. Did you think of it THAT way?" he asked me. I couldn't help, but smile by that comment.

"Noooo," I dragged looking at him as he looked down at me. "But I guess it's pretty cool." He laughed.

"Haha! That's what I thought." Jake and I stared at each other a bit and when I turned my focus back to the front of me, a classic Starbucks was approaching and I had to let my inner girlishness intervene.

"Oooo, Starbucks! We gotta get some," I tugged Jake's hand toward the little shop.

"Seriously? What is with girls and their coffee these days?" Jake asked me as if he really wanted to know. "Do y'all even like it?"

"It's good. Half the time, I forget that it really is coffee," I admitted as I pulled us up to the line. He sighed chuckling shaking his head while I put on a smile and began to order.

"Hello. What would you like?" the guy asked me behind the counter. He was actually pretty cute...like...really cute. I mean he was a barista and a major plus was that he honestly looked our age. He might've went to a different school or something, but I couldn't let my guard down in front of Jake.

"Um...uh....can I get a tall Cinnamon Dolce Frappe?" I asked. "With extra whip cream?" I added.

"No problem, anything else?" he asked.

"No that's it," I added getting out my wallet from my purse.

"Alright that would be $4.65." As I was struggling to get my wallet out my cross body, everything fell, causing all my different cards and cash fall onto to floor and I groan not wanting to pick it up.

"Omg..." I sighed getting down on the floor picking everything up. I noticed Jake was moving back and forth on the ball of his feet with his hands behind his back and he asked me,

"Need some help Kit-Kat?" I rolled my eyes still picking up everything.

"No Jake. I don't need your help," I scold. He shrugged standing up straight again and when I finally picked up all my things and got up...I noticed my recipe was already out and I was so confused and the guy told me with a smile,