Chapter Fourteen

Chapter 14

~

I... was starstruck.

Jake never, in my life, told me he could play the guitar. I just thought he was just some fuck boy who didn't have no kind of talent except in athletics and didn't care a thing about writing or playing music...

But obviously I was wrong. 

"What....?" I whispered just looking at him. He sighed.

"I know, I know, it's stupid it's just-"

"Wait what? No," I cut him off quickly.

He looked at me.

"That's really cool... What are you talking about it's stupid?" I came over to him and sat on his bed smiling as he sighed sitting beside me. "Why didn't you ever tell me about this?" I asked him slouching so surprised. He shrugged, the guitar in his lap....a pick in his hands.

"I don't know...." I squinted my eyes at him playfully.

"Jake. I've known you since forever. When did you start?" I was very intrude.

"The summer going into freshmen year," he replied like it wasn't a big deal.

"And I didn't know about it!?" I squealed.

"I didn't think it was that big of a deal," he finally smiled.

"That's cool though! So, you write your own songs?" I asked him. "That's what those papers were?" He nodded looking down at the strings.

"Yup."

"That's really cool Jake. Like, I'm serious! Why do you feel so ashamed?" I wanted to know shaking my head. He lost his smile.

"I don't know... It's not.... It not-"

"It's not what?"

"It's not COOL...I guess. It's stupid." I fell back on his bed rolling my eyes and I came back up.

"Jake. Who in the living HELL, said playing the guitar is stupid?" I was almost mad at him. 

"Celeste," he blurted out without thinking. I gave him this mean perplexed face with narrow eyes and he didn't want to look at me, but he couldn't help but do it anyway. "What?" He pretended not to know why I was upset. "She told me," he sighed. "She doesn't like it when I play the guitar." I fake laughed pathetically.

"Omg, are you serious?? What girl doesn't like a boy who plays the guitar?" I asked him with my eye brows uneven.

By his look, I could tell he WASN'T kidding.

"I don't know!" He finally was feeling overwhelmed. I sighed through my nose just listening to him as he didn't look at me. "I guess the one day I played for her she didn't like it. Like...she just didn't," he was confused. "I know I was kinda rough but that just made me want to play better...but I never let her listen to me again," he hung his head low. 

I never seen Jake upset. He was the type to want to make anybody and everybody smile, and him getting upset over a girl that wasn't worth it, just fired me up. If I didn't like him or not. 

"Jake....." He finally looked at me. "You cannot let that girl RULE over you like that," I told him like I was his mom or something. "Celeste is a bitch. The only reason WHY she probably doesn't WANT you to play the guitar, is because she's thinks it's not as 'cool' as the latest trend in the music industry, even if you did play bad I don't know how. I guess it embarrassed her in some way compared to her little friends. Well, I say she's wrong and that's that." I picked up a piece of balled up paper from his desk I took with me and I felt him still staring at me.