LILY

07. SWEET SUPRISE

"Oh dear, why did you leave the doors open?! I know you've seen the nasty storm." She cursed in her native tongue while setting a bowl of hot chicken noodle soup on the bedside table. My attempt to chuckle fails as I begin to have a coughing fit. She shakes her head while patting my back. I clear my throat and pat my chest, signaling her I'm okay.

"I must have... forgotten, I guess," I say, giving her an awkward smile.

Kim narrows her eyes before gesturing for me to eat. She assists me in sitting up against the headboard, placing a tray on my lap, and then the soup. I nod my head in thanks and begin eating, the warm salty flavored broth soothing my sore throat.

"Well, you best remember to remember next time, yes?" Kim asked me, glaring at me for my foolishness.

"Yes, ma'am," I say and salute her. She nods back, continuing her housekeeping duties. "So, what do you guys usually do around here?" I ask.

Kim was dusting around the dresser with her back to me. "We usually just work. I don't see Mr.Royce much throughout the week, though. It depends on his workload. When I see him, it is usually for special occasions or meal times."

"Have you ever...been in the basement before Kim?" I ask carefully, curiosity getting the best of me.

She paused her movement before continuing to sweep. "No, I haven't; why do you ask Lily?" I flinched at her tone; her calling my Lily instead of 'dear' struck a chord. The way she spoke made it seem like she wanted me to drop the subject, but I persisted.

"Royce made it seem like it was such a bad thing. I just wanted to know why?" I pressed on.

She sighed. "Listen, Bella, Mr.Royce is a very private man, even I only know so much, and I've been working for his family for years. In due time, I'm sure he'll let you in on some things, okay?" She gave me a pensive smile that didn't quite reach her eyes before turning back silently.

I internally facepalm and sniffle to help myself avoid the now awkward silence. Once finishing my soup, I thank Kim and fall back in my head, recalling what happened yesterday, blushing in embarrassment. Not just because of what happened but because I liked it. All the touching and platonic affection is throwing me off my game-remembering the feeling of Royces' closeness made my stomach flip. I hardly know the man, and I let him touch me so intimately, too intimately. I wonder how far we would've gone if Kim hadn't come.

My skin heated, and the fever I bore was suddenly too hard to handle. I begin to fan myself and strip my body of clothes. Hearing the rustle of sheets, Kim turns to me to see me stripping.

"Oh, dear! What are you doing?! If you're hot, you should've said so." she rushed to me and tried to put my shirt back over my head. I jerk away from her, my body and mind uncooperative. "Too hot," I slurred. I don't know what came over me to be acting like this. I assumed I was more intellectual than this.

"Stay still, dear!" she persisted. "ROYCE! Get in here now!" she shouted into the hallway, coming back and muttering in Spanish.

"Después de esto, estoy exigiendo un aumento! ROYCE!" Kim screamed, and I winced, feeling even more sluggish. Heavy footsteps make their way to my bedside, bracing my shoulder to the bed. My body begins to convulse rapidly.

"Royce, do something!"

"Call the doctor," A rasp voice bellows, and the sound of running feet could be heard, fading into the distance.

"It's okay. You're safe. It's okay." the voice whispers. The person holding me turned me over; the bile that had collected in my mouth spilled onto the floor. I'm not sure how much time passed, but I could feel my body begin to shut down when the obsessive shaking stopped. Just before the world went black, I heard another voice enter the room, seeming stressed.